IRIX and Software

Configuring IPFilter when using DHCP

Have DHCP setup at home which my O2 accesses under Irix 6.5 and trying to configure IPfiler as a firewall.

Just wanted to confirm that when setting up the IPFilter rules I can use 192.168.2.1/24 to indicate my O2 ip-address, which will be some ip-address that DHCP allocates in the range 192.168.2.* (since this is not known before hand).

Is this right, or is there a better way to handle DHCP, rather than specifying "any"?

Thanks...
cris_adder wrote:
Have DHCP setup at home which my O2 accesses under Irix 6.5 and trying to configure IPfiler as a firewall.

Just wanted to confirm that when setting up the IPFilter rules I can use 192.168.2.1/24 to indicate my O2 ip-address, which will be some ip-address that DHCP allocates in the range 192.168.2.* (since this is not known before hand).

Is this right, or is there a better way to handle DHCP, rather than specifying "any"?

Thanks...

Is this for outgoing traffic(ipfnat.conf)?
I think you should use 192.168.2.0/24 instead to cover 192.168.2.1-255 range.

Are you having ipfilter on the O2 itself or on a dedicated firewall?

/michael

risk.
Thanks for your help ...

Quote:
Is this for outgoing traffic(ipfnat.conf)?

This was being configured for incoming traffic, and the configuration file is "/etc/ipf.conf"

Quote:
Are you having ipfilter on the O2 itself or on a dedicated firewall?

Attempting to use Ipfilter on the O2 itself. So I guess from that perspective, using "any" for incoming traffic is probably just as good, since there is only one destination, i.e. not really trying to protect other nodes, does that sound right?

I am not an expert on IPFilter in anyway, and have just been going through the manuals to work out what is best.

Thanks
Cirs