IRIX and Software

mp3 player for IRIX

I'm gathering ideas right now. I have an Indy that I'm thinking of using to play mp3s at work (probably off a nfs share). So a few questions:

Will the R4400/200 have enough go? mostly 192 kbit/sec, though I'm starting to encode at 256 kbit/sec.

What software do people use? I'll have giant playlist. I might be interested in a gui, or maybe just text based, even something running in the background that may or may not take commands from a client.
I've used mpg123 (command line) and possible mpd.

Indy is a lot of watts for an mp3 player, I have to say though.
noisetonepause wrote: I've used mpg123 (command line) and possible mpd.

Indy is a lot of watts for an mp3 player, I have to say though.

Fortunately, not my watts at work ;) Though I was thinking about that, especially since it'd probably be connected to another machine to get the music anyway.

However, it would also make a nice machine to do network installs off of (although limited by it's incredibly slow network connection).
100 Mhz R4000 indigo is enought for mpg123 play without trouble.... so R4400 200Mhz.... :D

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
:O2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :PI: :Crimson: :PWRSeries: :Onyx: :O2000R:
HP proliant DL 585 Quad Opteron dual core 2.5Ghz 16Gb
Oh, there are MP3 players for 68k Macs. As long as you're not compiling at the same time...
if you want an elegant solution and feel adventurous, you could try to get MPD working on IRIX - especially if you're planning to run the machine headless. I didn't try it on IRIX myself yet, so no idea if it will build and work cleanly.. it doesn't have direct support of irixal audio output, the libao support should hopefully do the trick though.

As for performance, there shouldn't be a problem - it doesn't seem to be any more demanding than a simple mpg123. I'm currently running it on an old IBM NetVista N2200 thin client connected to my hifi setup in the living room. It boots Debian off a 2GB compact flash card and mounts the audio collection on my file server via NFS (using a random USB wifi dongle for connectivity as i couldn't be bothered routing ethernet to that corner). It uses a lowly 233MHz Cyrix MediaGX CPU (shouldn't be much faster than your 200MHz R4400) and doesn't have any problems at all with mp3 (up to 320 kbit/s or vbr), ogg and FLAC..

There are loads of different frontends (console, GUI or web) for feeding it with playlists, I'm currently using Sonata and am quite happy with it.