IRIX and Software

issue with neko_ntpd

I am running neko_ntpd on a 3200 running IRIX 6.5.30. I am getting the following error message in SYSLOG:
Mar 11 11:09:38 6D:turing ntpd[758]: adjusting local clock by 5148.060434s
Mar 11 11:09:38 2D:turing ntpd[758]: adjtime failed: Invalid argument

Has anybody seen this before? Does anybody have a fix for this?

Thanks much
Yep - you need manually set your time closer to the actual time first (within a couple minutes is fine). openntpd can't make enormous corrections to the time like that (your clock appears to be off by 1.43 hours at the moment).

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
ntpd can't make enormous corrections to the time like that (your clock appears to be off by 1.43 hours at the moment).

Really? I use "ntpdate" to reset the clocks on a couple of old sparcstations with dead batteries. However I normally do a reboot imeadiately afterwards.
Yes - it uses adjtime to "adjust the system's notion of the current time, as returned by gettimeofday(3C), advancing or retarding it by the amount of time specified in the struct timeval pointed to by delta." It's not designed for huge leaps; it was designed to make minor adjustments to the clock to keep it in sync by slowing/speeding up the clock.

Also keep in mind we're talking about openntpd here (neko_ntpd), not standard ntpd.

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
Yes - it uses adjtime to "adjust the system's notion of the current time, as returned by gettimeofday(3C), advancing or retarding it by the amount of time specified in the struct timeval pointed to by delta." It's not designed for huge leaps; it was designed to make minor adjustments to the clock to keep it in sync by slowing/speeding up the clock.

Also keep in mind we're talking about openntpd here (neko_ntpd).

I reset the time to within 5 minutes of the correct time and it worked.

Thanks much!
nekonoko wrote:
It's not designed for huge leaps

Mine leaps like Sam Beckett!

irixpgmr wrote:
I reset the time to within 5 minutes of the correct time and it worked.

Thanks much!

Great; glad to help!

porter wrote:

Good for you.

All Rights Reserved.
porter wrote:

:lol:
I made a small update to the Time Wiki page . If everyone agrees with my correction, we can modify the original text which seems to be instructions for using the SGI Freeware version.
older versions had ntptimeset included which was very useful and could handle all kinds of time differences