SGI: Discussion

SGI startup/shutdown sounds and lack of quality

I've noticed that many of the startup/shutdown sounds that can be downloaded from the Nekochan FTP suffer from low bitrate, low sampling frequency and lots of background hisses. Are there higher quality versions available anywhere?
If there are, where are they?
If there aren't, I've managed to increase the quality of some the available sounds, by resampling, filtering and equalizing them. Can I upload them somewhere?
Let me try to find time this weekend or so. I have a bunch of files. I'm not sure if I can tell the ones I created from the ones that I found. The ones I created were created on an Indigo2 and recorded digitally from another Indigo2.

Even me failing to find time to sift through the files I have, that's how I'd get a quality set, digital recording from one machine to another.
Are the files on the ftp recordings? I assume the file is in a ROM somewhere in the computers. Has anyone ventured into that territory?
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :320: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
Pontus wrote: Are the files on the ftp recordings? I assume the file is in a ROM somewhere in the computers. Has anyone ventured into that territory?

The sounds from the Indigo2 R10000, O2 and Octane are most likely recordings, because they switched to a generating algoritm for the tunes in the later workstations and hence you can't find the raw PCM recording in the PROM, because it used too much space.

Previously the boot sounds were recorded in 32kbit ADPCM like in the Indy/Indigo2 and Indigo1 and PI and you can extract them bit by bit in a PROM image. I have managed to do that a long time ago and i have an archive on my home machine.

Also look at http://www.nekochan.net/weblog/archives ... logos.html and http://www.nekochan.net/weblog/archives ... oot-l.html

EDIT: Found it in my archives:
promtune.zip
PI Indigo2 Indy Octane boot tunes
(991.37 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
I extracted the boot and shutdown and GFX fail tunes from the Indy, Indigo2 and Octane, and i recorded the PI boot tune from the Magnum-card audio output.

I also found a snippet from Doug Cook which i cannot find online, so i reproduce it here:

Van:Doug Cook ( [email protected] ) Search Result 3
Onderwerp:Re: How to get the Boot Tune...

Discussies:comp.sys.sgi.misc View: Complete Thread (9 articles)
Datum:1995/05/26 Original Format

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] writes:
> NNTP-Posting-Host: arvak.ifi.uio.no
> In-reply-to: [email protected] 's message of 26 May 1995 06:36:22 GMT
>
> In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Doug Cook) writes:
> > Don't bother with the microphone -- your Indy has a digital output,
> > which I believe is fired up even for the boot tune. You can record
> > straight to DAT or onto another Indy and get the audio signal
> > bit-for-bit, then convert to any format your heart desires. I will warn
> > you, however, that the boot tune is ADPCM-compressed, so the sound
> > quality is not as good as it might otherwise be. PROM space is

> > expensive.
>
> Hah! I don't buy that. You stuffed that boot tune into it, didn't you? :-)

All two seconds of it, at 32kHz, ADPCM-compressed. And when the PROM ran out of
space, the boot tune was the first thing to go; for example, the Power Indigo2
no longer has a sampled boot tune; it synthesizes one from scratch using
real-time physical modeling (albeit a very simple model).

-Doug

Doug Cook, [email protected] Silicon Graphics, Inc.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
I've noticed that the Indy start sound has a lower pitch in your new recording, while in the Octane start sound, the pitch is now higher. Which recording has the correct pitch?