SGI: Discussion

SGI and Biology?

I read the post about Linus' remarks about SGI's Linux work , and it reminded me about some of the other work that SGI did to optimize open source tools in the sciences. They did a lot of good work in chemistry and biology in the 90s. Coincidentally, SGI is looking to hire a life sciences application engineer and a life sciences business development person.

Not IRIX related, but, for a minute, I was reminded of the old days.

If anyone is interested, the job codes at the SGI career site are 47273 and 47343.

Quote:
SGI is seeking an Applications Engineer to join our team. This position focuses on the porting, testing, profiling, and benchmarking key software applications in life sciences and genomics. Focus is on genome sequencing and assembly algorithms/applications and how they map onto SGI hardware and software solutions. Specific experience with applications like BLAST, FASTA, HMMER, Velvet, SOAPdenovo, etc. is a plus. Responsibilities include:

Analyzing and documenting application performance characteristics of the applications for which you are responsible.
Driving SGI differentiation, both in performance and features, into key applications.
Frequent interaction with SGI product engineering and marketing on current and future product feature requirements and directions.
Support the SGI sales team with pre-sales technical assistance and customer benchmarking related to the applications you support.
Author or co-author application specific technical white papers as needed.
Occasional travel is required. Candidates located near our Fremont, CA or Eagan, MN offices are preferred however exceptional remote candidates will be considered.
SGI's HR folks are to be congratulated for resisting what must have been the nearly overwhelming urge to use the buzzword "bioinformatics" in their job post... ;)

Runs great on my Octane2