SGI: Discussion

RM7965A-900UI

Hi everyone,

As mentioned by rwengerter before, this is the latest fastest MIPS that still have SysAD bus which is possible to plant on an O2? Today i was able to get the data sheet. There is a list of difference from this new chip with a RM7000, does this info help us to know if its possible to use this on O2 without tweaking IRIX? coz we know IRIX is impossible to tweak due to code availability.

Attachment:
diff1.PNG
diff1.PNG [ 136.08 KiB | Viewed 502 times ]

Attachment:
diff2.PNG
diff2.PNG [ 73.58 KiB | Viewed 502 times ]

Do a search on "Indy RM9000" on the fora.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
geo wrote:
As mentioned by rwengerter before, this is the latest fastest MIPS that still have SysAD bus which is possible to plant on an O2?

It would fit an O2, but the Processor identification register returns a different value than the RM7000. You would need a new PROM to be able to use this processor.

:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Be, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
The following current laser printers use the PMC-Sierra RM7965:
The HP Color LaserJet CM6049f MFP uses a 835 MHz RM7965
The Lexmark X736de uses a 900 MHz RM7965
See here: http://www.find-printers.com/comparison ... ark_x736de

If someone finds a cheap source for a Lexmark X736de mainboard then please post it in this forum. The RM7965 has a EJTAG interface which
manufacturers usually use to check a printed circuit board. This printer mainboard probably has reprogramable Flash chips which would help if
one wants to run self-written code.
If the EJTAG pins from this Lexmark printer board are known then it can be used as a Development board for the RM7965 - which is one step
to a custom RM7965 O2 CPU board.

If someone finds a cheap source for a Lexmark X736de mainboard

i emailed some friends who work for lexmark, i ask if they can help me provide some info about this model, schematics would be the best but hehe not sure if they can share it but lets hope :) also ask is where do they source their mainboards, i think its somewhere here in mainland right? hope i could get positive feedback soon.

while waiting, any other devices that utilize this CPU? :) like a router or what, maybe easier to find here coz i tired to search lexmark printers in here local ebay, nothing near hehe most are just inks? anyway, will keep looking ;)

The following current laser printers use the PMC-Sierra RM7965:
The HP Color LaserJet CM6049f MFP uses a 835 MHz RM7965
The Lexmark X736de uses a 900 MHz RM7965
See here: http://www.find-printers.com/comparison ... ark_x736de

If someone finds a cheap source for a Lexmark X736de mainboard then please post it in this forum. The RM7965 has a EJTAG interface which
manufacturers usually use to check a printed circuit board. This printer mainboard probably has reprogramable Flash chips which would help if
one wants to run self-written code.
If the EJTAG pins from this Lexmark printer board are known then it can be used as a Development board for the RM7965 - which is one step
to a custom RM7965 O2 CPU board.

I'm still seeing notable differences between that chip and the RM7000. Some would be hardware, but some might also need IRIX or PROM tweaks (such as the BHT and a few register changes). I guess you won't know until you've tried it, but I wouldn't sink too much money into this.

SGI was the sole source as well, you don't know if they coded some variant of "IF RM7000 THEN L3cache exists"

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)