SGI: Discussion

O2 vs Octane (same CPU) - Page 2

mapesdhs wrote:
That's nonsense, it's not a PC. The gfx offers the same advantages of all other like SGIs, eg. hw accelerated imaging;
mplayer does movie playback in hw. It's massively responsive, more so than Octane. It uses IRIX and thus offers all
the same benefits of any other SGI running IRIX. In a whole host of ways it has advantages over any other MIPS/IRIX
desktop, though it may not be the optimal choice for all tasks as I've often explained to people who may benefit from
dual CPUs in Octane (if they can afford it).

SGI used the tower-type form factor to save costs, and that was a successful approach. Fuel at launch was much cheaper
than an entry Octane or Indigo2.

Ian.

Or to put in more succintly: Fuel is essentially a graphics equipped Origin 300/350 restricted to single-processor-single-node operation built in a PC-ish case. The Bedrock is there, the XBRIDGE is there, the R14k is there - it just doesn't scale.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
So from what I understand lets say you have a 250MHz octane, a dual processor wouldn't make it feel quicker but it would cope better?

Emachines PC 3.0GHz Dual Core (Intel)
Custom Built Ubuntu PC 1.207GHz (AMD)
Mac G4 1.25GHz
indyman007 wrote:
Well if you think about it, it is just a MIPS PC, not a nice little SGI.
Which reminds me - a couple of years ago ( :D ), the Iris INDIGO was hailed as something like the RISC PC of the '90s. Oh well. I'd one and while I'd laid it off, I'm still thinking of my first (SGI) love from time to time. But times are changing...nowadays I only run a Fuel [and occasionally, an Indigo2] :(

Most general system functions will benefit (it'll feel more responsive), but anything single-threaded will be the same,
eg. Firefox, Seamonkey, OpenOffice, GIMP, etc.

Ian.