Hardware For Sale/Trade

FS: SGI Crimson / Reality Engine

Considering selling my Iris Crimson. Comes with 150MHz, 256MB, Reality Engine. Machine was previously owned by Searles and was the machine that was used to model and design the drug Celebrex. I used to have the original invoice that optioned this machine out at around $640,000.

It worked when I started it up three years ago but I no longer have monitor or peripherals. If buyer wanted to bring their own and hook up to test that would be fine but will also need a power cable adapted to a non 20amp outlet.

I do not want to deal with shipping this monster but I might be able to be persuaded. I would need serious guidance on how to safely ship something this massive and fragile. Shipping costs would be up to the buyer of course.

Asking $2,000 or best offer. I do not have to sell it, but a machine like this really deserves to be somewhere it will be used at least occasionally. If there is no interested parties I will just hold onto it and hopefully I will be able to do something with it down the road.

Machine is in Florida, 32084.

Hey man,

If you get the offer you want on this and they ask to ship, you will need to take all the plastics, bubblewrap and reinforce with cardboard/styrafoam pieces to prevent flexing, take all the expansion cards, drives, and pack them in ESD and more styrafoam. Should take quite a few hours, and as a friend of mine was paid at a pack and ship place around $30/hour when he did packaging for stuffs, I'd charge by the hour, personally, in addition to shipping costs. The chassis will likely best be shipped freight, the other stuff should be divided into three packages and shipped via ground with FRAGILE and full insurance of all boxes, you should pre-prepare from a vendor like Mashek what he would charge for a system, including a sample invoice, so that you have proof for any possible claims. take LOTS of photos of any parts.

Whatever you do, NEVER SCRAP this. If you can't sell it, please give it to a collector or hold onto it. You're holding history.

Bottomline, try to sell locally, but if you have to ship it, make sure the chap is willing to pay for it to be taken apart or have him come and get it with a truck.
Entire collection up for sale :(
Thanks for the input. I was already planning to pull the plastics if I shipped but thanks for the idea regarding the boards.

No matter what happens... This machine will never see a scrap yard at my hands. I had a lot of plans for it but I have so little free time and it just sits in my office. Either I will hold onto it until that time when I CAN properly appreciate it, or it will go to a good home where someone else will care for it lovingly!
Powertrip wrote: Thanks for the input. I was already planning to pull the plastics if I shipped but thanks for the idea regarding the boards.

No matter what happens... This machine will never see a scrap yard at my hands. I had a lot of plans for it but I have so little free time and it just sits in my office. Either I will hold onto it until that time when I CAN properly appreciate it, or it will go to a good home where someone else will care for it lovingly!

Same for my Onyx2 I got from Zerolapse. I had to go thru a bit of hell for it, but I'll be damned if it gets scrapped - uh uh. Its gonna get used.
Entire collection up for sale :(
Powertrip wrote: Machine was previously owned by Searles and was the machine that was used to model and design the drug Celebrex.

Now this is a cool fact! :shock:
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
Bump and a price drop. I would take $2,000.
A nice machine!
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
Bump. Still for sale. I had an interested party say he was coming to get it but have not heard from them.