SGI: Hardware

Origin300 headaches: system serial number vanished

I'm getting more and more headaches. This one is terrible:

I flashed the L1 firmware in my Origin300 systems. But when booting the new firmware it displays "UNKNOWN BRICK TYPE!!" on the front LCD's.

So, I reverted back to booting the old firmware. Works like a charm.

BUT! For some reason the System Serial Numbers have been wiped from the system! I've not a clue how or when, but they're gone. Because of this the system won't boot anymore:

Code: Select all

001c01-L1>* power up
001c01 ERROR: SerNum:No assigned System Serial Number. See log for details.
001c02 ERROR: SerNum:No assigned System Serial Number. See log for details.

The L1 controller has a command to re-assign a serial number. BUT:

Code: Select all

Use serial <str> <str> <str> <str> to erase and reassign the device's SSN. The variable <str> <str> <str> <str> is the value of a security key that is provided only to SGI employees.

So apparently the only way to get this fixed is by getting a support contract and wayting for SGI to show up.... That'll cost a fortune. Much more than this systems worth.... and it'll be way too late

*AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH*

If anybody knows how to fix this... please let me know ASAP.
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?
My friendly neighbourhood spiderm^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H employee helped me out tremendously with this one. It can indeed only be solved by SGI. Luckily it's solved for me now. I'll be writing a story on how to not let this happen to you and how to solve it. Apparently we have some kind of issue similar to the "without patch 5086 you can frie your octane hardware" problem here.
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?