SGI: Hardware

Onyx R10k CPU board question

I have a quad R10k board in my Onyx (1) but it is only showing 2 cpu's working. What is the best way to determine if this is a board problem or if those two chips are dead?

Thanks in advance,
James
Hello James,

check with the LEDs in front of the board the position of the "dead" CPUs,
unmount the CPU modules and check / clean the contacts of the CPU and the PCB - in my ONYX / CHALLENGE after the remount all CPUs were o.k.

Cheers,

Marco
sgizone wrote: I have a quad R10k board in my Onyx (1) but it is only showing 2 cpu's working. What is the best way to determine if this is a board problem or if those two chips are dead?

Thanks in advance,
James

I have chips with carriers here if you need some. BTW, does anyone know where the clock multiplier is set on these boards??? Is it on the CPU carriers or on the CPU board itself?? They are using a 78MHz Crystal multiplied by 2.5. I would love to increase this to 4x and drop 300MHz R12Ks in them. And of course get the 4MB of cache working. Looks like I found access to some PROM burners, so I am going to dump them this weekend. Hopefully. Cheers.
Patrick

- That's what she said -
Let us know how this work progresses as I'd like to give my R10ks a shot in the arm also.

I'm willing to send you an R10k board to experiment on. I think I've got at dually somewhere.

thegoldbug
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
thegoldbug wrote: Let us know how this work progresses as I'd like to give my R10ks a shot in the arm also.

I'm willing to send you an R10k board to experiment on. I think I've got at dually somewhere.

thegoldbug

Thanks for the offer, but I have a big stack of them here in 1, 2 and 4 processor versions. Cheers.
Patrick

- That's what she said -
I have been away from this project for a while, but now I am back on it.

check with the LEDs in front of the board the position of the "dead" CPUs,

Exactly what am I looking for on the LED's? I can see the four sets and they show this after booting to the PROM:

During boot the first and third sets blink in various orders, the second set does some blinking and the fourth set does nothing.

Once booted: the first set blinks steadily 5 lights the second and third sets have two LED's lit and the fourth set has all 6 lit.

Hope this help someone to tell what to do. My next step is to clean all the CPU's and carriers and see whathappens.

Thanks in advance,
James