SGI: Hardware

Indigo freezing on boot after GFX Upgrade

Hi there.

I recently got a bunch of indigos off ebay.
One is a R4k with entry gfx, one a R4k with ZX but a broken psu.
So i put in the good psu into the ZX one and booted.

Diags were good and the system wanted to boot.

But it freezes there, forever accessing the HD, but no progress. The mouse also isnt working.

Do i need a fresh install or is something broken?

If i need one: I havent got a transceiver yet for netbooting and installing. Is it possible to install irix on a indy (R4k) and swap disks?
Indigo and Indy need different kernels and sysgen files. I think that different drivers are also needed for Starter Indigo vs GR2 (XS, XZ, Elan).
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
What is exactly on that disk you boot from? Did you try that boot disk on the Entry R4K as well? Did it boot there?

I would suggest to get a transceiver and start over from scratch. 'resetenv' in the PROM and get a IRIX 6.2 or 6.5 installation underway.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
You only changed the PSU? That should not be a problem if the original Indigo worked fine. If that is all you changed, then no reconfiguring should be needed.. Saying that, I have known PSU's 'just' working, that is, I've known devices likes SCSI - Disk not working because the PSU gave minimal power.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo: