SGI: Hardware

Help ID parts, boards, etc?

Im parting out my Octane. But before doing so, I need to verify various internal bits the best I can. Whats the best way to approach/do this?

thank you
Aaron
I've always used Ian Mapleson's parts and spares page as a reference: http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgidepot/partsspares.html

SGI part numbers should look something like "030-1467-001 Rev H" and are almost always found on every board, module, etc.
:Fuel: rhaegar :MacBook: snow
With verify bits you mean identifying the hardware and testing its individual components?

First do a hinv -vm so you can write down the individual part numbers and revisions of the components.
Then you can do a general hardware test, by booting into the PROM and selecting Diagnostics. You need a recent IRIX installation CD overlay containing the diagnostic tools.

There probably is more info on Ian's site regarding specific tests, especially graphics hardware.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
dexter1 wrote: You need a recent IRIX installation CD overlay containing the diagnostic tools.

If the system has IRIX installed, PROM will boot the diagnostics from the hard disk. It will try to load diagnostics from a CD first, but failing that it will start them from the system disc.

NB: since we're talking about an Octane2 here: the standard diagnostics do not test VPRO graphics boards.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
dexter1 wrote: With verify bits you mean identifying the hardware and testing its individual components?

First do a hinv -vm so you can write down the individual part numbers and revisions of the components.
Then you can do a general hardware test, by booting into the PROM and selecting Diagnostics. You need a recent IRIX installation CD overlay containing the diagnostic tools.

There probably is more info on Ian's site regarding specific tests, especially graphics hardware.

jan-jaap wrote:
dexter1 wrote: You need a recent IRIX installation CD overlay containing the diagnostic tools.

If the system has IRIX installed, PROM will boot the diagnostics from the hard disk. It will try to load diagnostics from a CD first, but failing that it will start them from the system disc.

NB: since we're talking about an Octane2 here: the standard diagnostics do not test VPRO graphics boards.

Sadly, I have no way to test the system. There are no hdds and I dont have an adapter for monitor.

toasty wrote: I've always used Ian Mapleson's parts and spares page as a reference: http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgidepot/partsspares.html

SGI part numbers should look something like "030-1467-001 Rev H" and are almost always found on every board, module, etc.

This should help a little. I remember seeing his page.