SGI: Hardware

diskless Indy/IP22, used as x11/xterm

hi
I wonder how fast a diskless setup goes, with a 10Mbit/sec built-in connection, and if I can make it "stripped" in order to reduce the data-transfer.

I also wonder how good is linux/X11 with a modern Xorg package, I played linux on IP22 in 2005 at my university unix lab (currently RIP, replace with linux/PC), there was a linux kernel 2.2, and completely different packages (Xorg has changed a lot)

In this case, I wonder how much smart is to look for a striped-ram-rootfs with an MIPS3-BE-softfloat-uclibc (the lighter ever) version of the whole rootfs (if my builder will build)

the purpose is: using IP22 as X11/Xterm (WM~=Fluxbox?)
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my * flawless English * still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
don't know if that helps but I'm pretty sure the word you're looking for is "stripped" not "striped" - maybe that makes the search easier.
Stripping binaries (often via 'strip' command) or OS means removing all non-critical stuff, essentially making it lighter which is likely what you want to achieve...
[click for links to hinv] JP: :Fuel: | :O2: | :Indy: || PL: [ :Fuel: :O2: :O2+: :Indy: ]
kubatyszko wrote: "stripped" not "striped"

I have written

I can make it "stripped"

which is the right form ? the verb is "to strip"
as examples my dictionary says

• a) "the lieutenant was stripped of his rank", with the meaning "to deprive someone of { rank, power, or property }"
  • b) "her body was striped with bands of sunlight", with the meaning "to mark with stripes"

" to be stripped " (double "p") means to remove clothes(1), "clothes" in this case means extra-features, like what glib adds, a lot of features which makes binaries bloated. Symbols do also make them bloated, in this case applications do not need them, while shared libraries do need.

/usr/bin/strip can purge :D

(1) the funniest example ever, it looks like a survival English dictionary, the best purchase ever :D :D :D
it reports this practical sentence: "Is there a striptease bar in the town? where girls get stripped"

kubatyszko wrote: Stripping binaries (often via 'strip' command) or OS means removing all non-critical stuff, essentially making it lighter which is likely what you want to achieve...

I guess the meaning is clear, the purpose of "to strip" aims for reducing the data stream size over the lan because the IP22 comes with a built-in 10Mbit/sec NIC, which can be expanded up to 100Mbit/sec by G130 or G100 or TI gio32 boards, but the PROM (ROM firmware) comes with no drivers, so, you can use these Fast-Ethernet cards only once Irix (or Linux) has completed its boot: you'd better (and best) reduce the data transfer!

practically a bloated rootfs implies the usage of two network cables, the first connected to the built-in lan in order to tftpboot the kernel, the second cable connected to the Fast-Ethernet board in order to upload the rootfs at decent speed

the problem is: I can handle the above diskless setup with linux (the worst choice ever on these SGI machines, especially on IP22, it's too slow and X11 comes with a poor frame buffer which makes the machine slower and not comfortable with X11-stuff, I know, I know, but ...), I can (it means am able to) rebuild the whole stage4 (including X11) in uclibc way, which is smaller than glibc by different oder of magnitude, I am also able to tftpboot an IP22 width such a stage included in the kernel as ramdisk (and I might implement a custom earlyrootfs with a NFS client), while I do not know how to do something similar with IRIX :D
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my * flawless English * still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
There is no need to shoot with dictionaries, I understand the difference between the words.

I was referring to this sentence - that kind of looked like a name of an OS image you're looking for.

ivelegacy wrote: .... striped-ram-rootfs with an MIPS3-BE-softfloat-uclibc....

Anyway, looks like an interesting challenge, too bad it's not in my current line of SGI-related work, I'm wresting with my Fuel's and bringing them back to life, two motherboards had missing components that came off due to harsh treatment. Both are alive now.
[click for links to hinv] JP: :Fuel: | :O2: | :Indy: || PL: [ :Fuel: :O2: :O2+: :Indy: ]
" stripped " in order to reduce the data-transfer.

In this case, I wonder how much smart is to look for a striped -ram-rootfs with an MIPS3

I agree this is not simply a spelling error or typo :lol:

kubatyszko wrote: There is no need to shoot with dictionaries,

well, It was a funny gag :D
English is not my native language
so it was also a good brain storming :D