SGI: Hardware

O2 : can adding a drive or cd without PARITY cause issues?

Hello,

what happens if an unity that doesn't have a PARITY jumper is added ?
Bus resets upon some operations ?
Can it lead to wear of the system hd ?
Can it cause a segmentation fault if an hd operation happens at the same time as a reset ? (example inst > go)
troubles, buddy

but I have a CD-drive for sale, it was pulled out from an O2 machine.
shoot me an offer in PM.

p.s.
I'm located almost near Milan
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new IP30/Octane2
My machine got the Xbow damaged, so I swapped for a second hand Rigol-DG1032Z WaveGen/DDS@30Mhz
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
All SCSI devices need to support parity, it is part of the standard. Some drives have a parity jumper, but it is designed to only disable the parity check on received data; data transmitted by the device still has parity. For this reason, a CDROM drive would normally act the same no matter the jumper position.
Parity should not be disabled except on some old PC class machines with crippled HBAs.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
mmm so I should assume that the Panasonic slot-in dvd has actually parity.
robespierre wrote: All SCSI devices need to support parity

of course, but SGI wants CD/DVDrom units with a specific firmware, there is a compatibility list, that is the reason why I offered a unit that is known to be SGI compliant (and already set in the right way).

mazzinia wrote: dvd

so you have a DVDrom, sorry, no party, I have for sale a CDrom. I suggest you to check -1- if your unit is in the SGI compatibility list, and -2- the manual to be sure you have set it properly. See the O2 user manual for that.
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new IP30/Octane2
My machine got the Xbow damaged, so I swapped for a second hand Rigol-DG1032Z WaveGen/DDS@30Mhz
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
I saw the compatibility list, and I think in part was made thanks to trying and seeing what happened.
In my case, as I reported in another thread, I found out that the Pioneer dvd-303 (slot-in 1999 dvd unit) is able to handle full audio playback, thing that according to the HW Aggregator should be limited to Toshiba drives.
Haven't tried a DVD-303, but have successfully used a Pioneer DVD-304S to install IRIX on an Octane and an Origin 300 . If you're troubleshooting other issues, I'd suspect the presence/absence of a parity jumper is a red herring.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *