SGI: Hardware

Indy SCSI USB adapter

I have an Indy R4400 200MHz 32MB RAM IRIX 6.5.22 , with an HD 1Gb , and would fit in place of the HD, a memory card 4GB connected using a USB adapter on the SCSI connector that plugs right into HD .

A SCSI to USB adapter is possible? What adapter would be recommended ?

The SCSI rear back of Indy is equivalent to the SCSI connector connected directly to HD ? If I plug a SCSI adapter on the back of Indy would mean the same ?

I would like to install all the software on the card , by the Indy manager software because the HD is full limit with the operating system installed , and every time I need to install other software , I have to uninstall another program .
I have never seen something like a SCSI to USB Adapter. You can use SCSI to ATA or SATA adapter. The SCSI port at the back of your Indy is the same SCSI bus where the internal disk is connected.

The simplest way is to replace the internal disk. It is really easy to copy the internal disk to a larger one.
:Tezro: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2+: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo: :Cube:
You might search the nekochan forums for "Acard". Acard makes a number of SCSI conversion devices, and has been the subject of several discussions.

As an example, here's a link to a post in one of those discussions that mentions using an SSD drive in an Indy: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16728283&p=7365950&#p7365950
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Or consider the SCSI2SD adapter - skip the USB, and put a fast, large SD card directly on your SCSI bus. Been successfully used on a lot of retrocomputing devices, synths and samplers that speak SCSI for mass storage.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Well, I have installed the SCIS2SD cart into my Indy today. If works for me in HDD-emulation mode only.
It is possible to emulate magneto-optical drive or removable device but they don't work as expected (the hinv lists them but they are inaccessible).

But the harddisk emulation works well. I formatted it to have a XFS (I don't thing that a journaled filesystem is the best idea for a SD card, but I will see...). I will try to provide more details later.
:O2: :Indy: :Indy:
Hi.

Any news on this? Im thinking to get one for Indigo and Indy, too.

How does it run/perform?
MrWeedster wrote: Any news on this? Im thinking to get one for Indigo and Indy, too.

It's hard to say at the moment. With the 4GB miroSD (provided with the board) it seems to works (no problems so far).

I tried to replace it with a 32 GB Class 10 Samsung card and it hanged when cloning disks. So I have to do some investigations if the problem is the particular card or something else.

I'm going to try to clone my 4 GB drive in the other Indy. I will send a post here when I will have any results.
:O2: :Indy: :Indy:
Looking forward to details, I have an SGI and an O2 (as well as a few samplers) that I'll probably set up with the SCSI2SD adapter, soon enough ..