SGI: Hardware

Finally fired up the Indy.. in failure... - Page 2

Using the other method with the Fill command, I got the MAC address fixed, And now all the network services appear to be starting up.

However the monitor still goes out of range. But, one thing I found out is if I press the power button on the front, the monitor comes back to the console saying system is shutting down, stopping X, etc... So that tells me the issue is with X Server set with a wacked out resolution.

I am using a Viewsonic E70 monitor, Well, attempting to.

Now, how to fix?

As far as waiting the 15 minutes thing, it makes sense because the NVRAM battery hack I havent performed yet, so its resetting/clearing the monitor settings so it comes back. I read somewhere that Irix 6.5 sets the system resolution on startup and keeps it there. So when it blacks out, it stays that way until the NVRAM gets reset back to default. It all makes sense now.
It could be as simple as the system changing to a stereo display mode. Stereo modes run at up to 150 Hz, which is outside the range of typical monitors. You need the root password to get any further.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
so how do I fix or reset that?
Well something isnt right in the VGA circuit somewhere....

I "obtained" an irix 6.5 disk. I decided to put it in, and hit install software. it started a copying progress bar, and soon as it finished, screen when "out of range" while the HDD was still loading stuff.

So again, I forced rebooted, went back to the command window thingy, and typed boot. then it complained about an incomplete miniroot whatever that is. I decided to let it fix itself by pressing F, and screen blacked out again while reading from CD and HDD doing its thing.

Rebooted it, and this time after typing boot, i got a sash prompt, I could do an LS and see what was on the HDD but thats about as far as I could get...

I think SGI is a little bit too advanced for what I am willing to get into, and it doesnt appear its going to be an easy fix.

So I think I am going to pull the HDD since its a nice 2GB SCSI, go stick it in one of my Macs, and toss the machine. I figured I would give it another go, but once again, ended in failure.

Currently though, its running some sort of diagnostics thing with the front LED flashing, and a spinning doodad on the screen console. taking forever.
I "obtained" an irix 6.5 disk. I decided to put it in, and hit install software. it started a copying progress bar, and soon as it finished, screen when "out of range" while the HDD was still loading stuff.

The software installation procedure is not graphical at all. It's been a while, but I believe that the installation kernel (the "miniroot") uses the standard 1280x1024@60 resolution. Many SGI displays are fixed-frequency at that rate.
The classic reference for Indys is http://www.nekochan.net/reputable/indytech.html ; I found there that the Indy starts its graphics at 1024x768@60, which is a little surprising. You have to set the prom variable "monitor" to h in order to make the machine start up using high resolution, which makes it different from every other machine. What happens when IRIX 6.5 (or its miniroot) starts is it resets the resolution to a stored value set with the setmon command.

Something about your "VGA circuit" comments smelled strange to me, so I searched for "viewsonic E70 specifications" and saw repeated reference to a "flicker-free 1024x768 refresh rate". Eventually I found the manual which only confirms a few resolutions, including 1024x768@75 and 85, and 1280x1024@60. This means that 1280x1024@72 Hz, which is a common SGI resolution, is not supported by the monitor. Evidently that is what is being selected when you start IRIX. The other monitor you mentioned at the beginning of the thread doesn't support it either.

I think SGI is a little bit too advanced for what I am willing to get into, and it doesnt appear its going to be an easy fix.

From everything that you have said, it now appears certain that it would work as intended if you simply used a better monitor. In hindsight it's ridiculous that such a thing take 3 years to be said.
techknight wrote: I think SGI is a little bit too advanced for what I am willing to get into, and it doesnt appear its going to be an easy fix.

If you can connect it to a monitor which supports it (remember that these things were originally shipped with high-quality CRTs capable of pretty decent refresh rates), and get IRIX installed, you'll find that you don't need to be a total geek to use them. IRIX was one of the most user-friendly UNIX OSs around in the 90s.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
I second Robespierre and Trippynet comments. SGI's and Indy's in particular are reliable machines with great software and have many useful input and output ports. It's just that the peripherals can be a bit of a challenge, like proper serial cabling, keyboards/mice, CD players and last but not least, monitors. A good multisync, multifrequency monitor with the proper 13W3->HD15 cabling can make all the difference.

If however, after all endeavours, you decide to let it go, please post it in the hardware for sale section and mention your location. Maybe there is a fellow SGI enthusiast who is willing to offer you a good deal.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
Another seldom discussed issue that can cause problems are the Monitor ID pins inside the 13W3 port. SGI used more than one incompatible definition for these pins (as did Sun): this frequently frustrates people using 13W3->DE15 cables from the internet. The real solution would be DIP switches integrated into the cable, as you see in adapters like the Griffin Mac Sync Adapter.
techknight wrote: Well something isnt right in the VGA circuit somewhere....

So again, I forced rebooted, went back to the command window thingy, and typed boot. then it complained about an incomplete miniroot whatever that is. I decided to let it fix itself by pressing F, and screen blacked out again while reading from CD and HDD doing its thing.

Rebooted it, and this time after typing boot, i got a sash prompt, I could do an LS and see what was on the HDD but thats about as far as I could get...

So I think I am going to pull the HDD since its a nice 2GB SCSI, go stick it in one of my Macs, and toss the machine. I figured I would give it another go, but once again, ended in failure.

Currently though, its running some sort of diagnostics thing with the front LED flashing, and a spinning doodad on the screen console. taking forever.

Spinning doodad and blinking LED is normal. That's just SGI's way to show it's stepping through the various tests instead of leaving the end user confused if the machine is testing or locked solid.

I know for a fact that the the screen resolutions can vary between the PROM and Irix. Years ago I used the SETMON command over a serial console to force the screen resolution to 640x480@60hz because I was running off an ancient plasma display for no helpful reason besides I could.

The thing is however I do not believe SETMON is available from sash or a miniroot so if a weird resolution is the reason you keep losing your picture the best I can suggest is another monitor...OR you do the entire installation headless through a serial terminal, THEN once the install is finished you use SETMON to fix your resolution.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.