SGI: Hardware

Octane: PROM Write Error

Have installed Irix 6.5.15 on my Octane and at the end of the install, after the system restarts the following error message appeared:

• "PROM Write Error on cacheline 0x1fcbf700 at PC=0xffffffff9fc42334 RA=oxffffffff9fc422d0"

Does anyone know what may have gone wrong? Is this an error when updating the PROM version? What might cause this?

Oddly enough, I rebooted my Octane and everything seems to work fine with the new copy of Irix. So I have no idea what may have gone wrong above.

The only other post about this type of error is here (but does not give any insight): http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16720506&hilit=prom+write+error

My current PROM version is "6.5 Rev 4.12 IP30 Nov 15, 2001 - 64bit".

The version of Irix was a 2002, so it seems the PROM did not get updated. I was going to upgrade this to 6.5.22, but a little hesitant with the above PROM write error; (i.e. while its working leave it alone)...

Any thoughts..?

I recall that in SUN Blade 1Ks you can disable or disallow PROM writes, Now I haven't opened my Octanes in a
while. The only thing I can think of is a jumper located near the back of the board on the left of the CPU, 'Disable/Enable Password' and another located near the front underneath the CPU module (dual config)

Need to consult the Sgi Tech docs

:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000
If I am not mistaken, the IRIX installer will try to update the prom if need be during the install, right? Kind sounds like it tried to and had a legitimate write error...

Yes, that what it sounds like, and was hoping to find out what might cause the write error?

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is a jumper located near the back of the board on the left of the CPU

Ok...thanks..! Will check out if there is a jumper preventing the prom from being flashed...
Dump .15, really crappy/buggy release

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :0300: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
Quote:
Dump .15, really crappy/buggy release

You were right..!

Upgraded to 6.5.22 and the PROM was flashed successfully this time! So it must have been 6.5.15 not able to Flash the PROM correctly. When installing 6.5.15 on an O2 it was able to flash the O2 PROM, but not on the Octane.

Thanks...