SGI: Hardware

Is there a Indigo2 Jumpstart jumper like the O2?

Just wanted to ask if there was a jumper on the Indigo2 that forced power on each time you connect the power cable, similar to the O2 Jumpstart setting?

I have an Indigo2 that I cannot turn off. Even from the PROM, when I type in "off" is responds with "Unable to execute off"!

Thought there might be a jumper somewhere that is doing this...

Thanks
I may be wrong, but I don't think "off" is a valid prom command.

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :0300: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
It might depend on the system - "off" will power down an O2 from the PROM.
cris_adder wrote:
I have an Indigo2 that I cannot turn off. Even from the PROM, when I type in "off" is responds with "Unable to execute off"!

Thanks

The PROM "off" command is model-specific. I thought it worked in Indigo2, but evidently not. Remote power-off works on Indy, Octane, O2 and the models with a system controller, but the method of powering down is different for the system controller models.

Don't think any of the FastForward and derivative boxes support remote power-up. O2 has the jumper, but that's a model-specific peculiarity. You could possibly wire up something using a state machine or one-shot to trigger the power-up circuit if you wanted.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
Only it sounds like he might be asking about "on" rather than "off":
cris_adder wrote:
..if there was a jumper on the Indigo2 that forced power on each time you connect the power cable
If that's the case, or he has a system that's stuck in "always powered" mode, then the PROM environmental variable "autopower" might cause <or be causing> his system to auto-power-on. As I recall "autopower", is also platform specific, though I no longer have an Indigo2 to confirm if it is included.
The prom man page wrote:
autopower
    Specifies whether a setting of y allows a system with software power control to automatically power back on after an AC power failure. The default setting of n requires the power switch to be pressed to restart the system. This variable is stored in nonvolatile RAM.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
I'm starting to see a pattern here.
This makes the third Indigo2 system in the span of a year now where it refuses to turn off and stay off.

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Did you try "resetenv"?

Quote:
Did you try "resetenv"?

Yes, tried that with no change...

Quote:
Only it sounds like he might be asking about "on" rather than "off"

My apologies, yes I did ask about "on" thinking that there was a jumper that forced power on once power was applied; thought that might be the reason I could not turn this off. So in fact I am trying to turn it off as well as stopping it from powering up automatically.

Quote:
then the PROM environmental variable "autopower" might cause <or be causing> his system to auto-power-on

Also, looked at that environment variable and is set to "no" for no autopower, even tried changing this a few times with no effect...

I just received another Inidgo2, so I am going to go swapping parts to find out further what the cause might be...