SGI: Hardware

Water cool for sgi? Possible?

I was wondering how difficult would it be to custom make water cooling kit for sgi( octane, tezro?). If it's possible, we can expect noise free sgi ( somewat buggin me since my tezro made so much noise and heat)

You'd have to fool the system's environmental management into thinking your fans are connected and working - otherwise, it should be just like water-cooling any other computer system (replace the existing heat sinks with water blocks, build in a radiator and pump, check for leaks, go). Fabricating entirely new water blocks that are safe and watertight is usually not easy, but I suspect you could just take a water block for something else and make it fit without too much work.

There's not much "trickery" to water-cooling - it really is a very physical, "what you see is what you get" pursuit, so if you can make everything fit together and not leak all over it'll certainly work.

A Tezro is a mighty expensive system (still :/ ) to be playing around with this sort of thing on though - if you've never done a watercooling project before it might not be the place to start (in case you accidentally introduce a leak, etc).

I would pursue the newest, quietest fans before I went "all out" and built a water-cooling rig.

I found with both of my machines (I2 & Octane2) that the cpu fan makes negligible noise compared to the power supply & chassis (I2) or disk bay (Octane) fans - you might want to consider those aspects before looking at watercooling.

a $20 Scythe version it's pretty quiet too. Probably cheaper just to replace the PS and drive bay fans with the Scythe equivalents and skip
the water cooler ;)
Why not try something Seymour Cray-like cool like submerging your SGI in 3M Fluorinert :)

"(Jim) Clark's friends who did not know Ed McCracken came to believe that the man's name was Fucking Ed McCracken. Always the prankster, Clark also replaced the nameplate on his nemesis's door with one reading "Ed McMuffin," a change it took poor Ed three days to notice"-Salon
:Crimson: R4400-150 Server (RE Progress 80%)
Currently in use: Sennheiser HD 600
n1mr0d wrote:
Why not try something Seymour Cray-like cool like submerging your SGI in 3M Fluorinert :)

Because it's madly expensive and toxic. :roll:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
BUT... mineral oil isn't so bad.

I think the newest immersive fluids are non-toxic, but still expensive. But the problem is you remove the fan and put a custom water block on component a, turns out components b-v didn't need heatsinks, but still needed a little cooling and you don't have water blocks or air currents any longer, so expensive isn't as expensive as making all the custom water blocks.

:O3000: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: <--challenge S