SGI: Hardware

Indigo Upgrade: 3K to 4K

Just wanted to ask what are the parts that need to be changed/upgraded on an Indigo 3K to get it to a 4K. From what I have searched and read the following is required as these are all specific to 3K and 4K series:

Motherboard (of course)
    Backplane
    Power Supply

Is there anything else missing, or any other gotcha's?

The Indigo has some parts missing, so thought the best option was to upgrade it...

... thanks...
You can keep the R3K backplane intact; that part is the same regardless. In a pinch, the old R3K power supply should work too. SGI recommended upgrading the power supply for R4K conversions but I haven't actually run into a case where the older supply failed to function.

The main thing of course is the R4K CPU board.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: The main thing of course is the R4K CPU board.
...and the R4K motherboard, since that's where the R4K CPU board needs to be attached to.

Happy upgrading :)
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O2000: :Onyx2:
European nekoware mirror, updated twice a day: http://www.mechanics.citg.tudelft.nl/~everdij/nekoware
ftp://mech001.citg.tudelft.nl rsync mech001.citg.tudelft.nl::nekoware
Also don't forget the PM2 processor module with a R4400-150.
"(Jim) Clark's friends who did not know Ed McCracken came to believe that the man's name was Fucking Ed McCracken. Always the prankster, Clark also replaced the nameplate on his nemesis's door with one reading "Ed McMuffin," a change it took poor Ed three days to notice"-Salon
Former owner of :4D310:
n1mr0d wrote: Also don't forget the PM2 processor module with a R4400-150.

If you really want to do it right you get a PM1 heatsink to put on the PM2 as well.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Yep - by "R4K CPU board" I meant the entire assembly - processor module and motherboard. Semantics :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
You can find the PM2 hack here
"(Jim) Clark's friends who did not know Ed McCracken came to believe that the man's name was Fucking Ed McCracken. Always the prankster, Clark also replaced the nameplate on his nemesis's door with one reading "Ed McMuffin," a change it took poor Ed three days to notice"-Salon
n1mr0d wrote: Also don't forget the PM2 processor module with a R4400-150.

I'm still waiting for a 250 mhz pimm from an indigo2 to get transplanted into an indigo. Dr Dave, what the hell are you doing every evening ?!
May be possible, the PM2 and PM5 modules both communicate with the I2 bus, which is surprising because the former contains a TTL cpu and the latter a LVCMOS one. Does the PM5 contain some level shifting/transceiving circuitry?

http://www.interfacebus.com/voltage_threshold.html