SGI: Hardware

Question: external DVD-Rom and Octane

Hello,

I have an external DVD-Rom drive (HP C4315A) that I want to connect to
the Octane.

The Octane-side is no problem, but I don't know what connector I need
for the drive-side. Below is a photo of the port on the drive.

The port looks like a centronics port, but it has 68 pins and is smaller,
but it's NOT a "VHD centronics plug". I have already two cables that dont
fit.

Has anybody a clue what kind of cable I need?

Best regards, Martin
I have and use the same drive. It's based on a Pioneer 304 mechanism , and is an excellent drive for use with SGI/IRIX because it allows for bootable DVDs <something the OEM Toshibas DVD-ROMs used by SGI won't do>.

As it was explained to me, that drive wasn't intended to be connected directly to an external SCSI cable - but inserted into a chassis that provided the other half of that connection. There's a blue lever on the bottom of the DVD-ROM case that was used to cam it in and out of place into that chassis.

My solution was to remove the drive and install it a different enclosure. I had one on-hand with a Pioneer slot-loading CD-ROM, so I used that enclosure *and* faceplate. Emphasis on faceplate because the faceplate on the HP drive is designed to be part of the enclosure. If you don't happen to have a spare enclosure and faceplate, it shouldn't be too difficult to remove the connector shown in your photo and replace it with a conventional 50-pin SCSI connector. The mounting plate for the SCSI connecter can be removed without tools, it's secured at the top by three plastic tabs accessed from the inside of the case <the faceplate can also be removed from the case, but because of the size and amount of integration into the case design I think it would be easier to replace the connector. Or perhaps some of the HP collectors will know of an external SCSI cable that will mate to the HP connector
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote: As it was explained to me, that drive wasn't intended to be connected directly to an external SCSI cable - but inserted into a chassis that provided the other half of that connection. There's a blue lever on the bottom of the DVD-ROM case that was used to cam it in and out of place into that chassis.

Thank you very much! I was wondering what the blue lever is good for.
Looks like I have to do some handicrafts.

Best regards,
Martin
I sawed a hole into the backside of the case and connected the cable
with an 68/50 pin adapter to the drive.

The DVD-rom drive works fine now with the Octane

Thank you again,
Martin