SGI: Hardware

Cloning root disk on O2

Hi Guys,

I have a spare 36gig 15K rpm drive that I want to use to replace my 10k root drive on my O2. The question is how can I do this? I cant install a second drive because my O2 is a R10000. I do have the SGI external PG4 drives, however Im not sure if the 36gig disk will be compatible with the 4 gig enclosure.

Any ideas?
:O2: :Octane: :1600SW:
I haven't seen those SGI external drives, but unless it's an SCA drive it won't help you. A Sun 611 case is a good choice, about the only external drive I know of with SCA connections. Also the 611 uni-pack cases are pretty easy to find, just make sure you get a hard drive case, not a tape drive or cd drive (although they are handy, so get one too).

Failing that, using what you have, if there's enough space on a drive in your Octane (or anywhere you can create a NFS share), clone your root drive to a file on the NFS share. If that share is on your Octane you can use the tools there to write it out to the newer drive (including sash in the volume header). If you don't have the space on the octane you could probably tunnel the pipe over the network, but that's slightly more advanced topic.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: <--challenge S