SGI: Hardware

USB Cards and the Fuel

In another (small) triumph for Fuel users, ramq noted that the Belkin four-port USB card worked fine. So I picked up a generic 2-port universal voltage nec-chipped pci adapter card.

Code: Select all

PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x104c, device 0x8024) PCI slot 1
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x1077, device 0x1216) PCI slot 1
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x10a9, device 0x0005) PCI slot 2
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x1033, device 0x0035) PCI slot 3
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x1033, device 0x0035) PCI slot 3
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x1033, device 0x00e0) PCI slot 3
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x10a9, device 0x0003) PCI slot 4
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x11c1, device 0x5802) PCI slot 5
HUB in Module 001c01/Slot 0: Revision 2 Speed 200.00 Mhz (enabled)
IP35prom in Module 001c01/Slot n0: Revision 6.210
USB controller: type OHCI
USB Human Interface Device: device id 0 type keyboard
USB Human Interface Device: device id 0 type mouse

It appears that any pci card with a NEC OHCI USB chip should work in the Fuel ? Thanks to ramq for being the brave pioneer.

< Moderator Edit: Split from The Fuel (IP35) Hardware Aggregator <recondas>
What's funky enough about the Belkin, is that it only show two OHCI ports. Perhaps it's two "channels" and it makes up a hub of two ports each? I don't know, but in the end it might show that the Fuel can only handle two ports on the four-port Belkin. I have to investigate this further when I find the time...
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:
Hmm, that card could be interesting for Tezro - they don't have any built-in USB ports at all. Might allow for USB keyboards/mice like the Fuel.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
ramq wrote: What's funky enough about the Belkin, is that it only show two OHCI ports. Perhaps it's two "channels" and it makes up a hub of two ports each? I don't know, but in the end it might show that the Fuel can only handle two ports on the four-port Belkin. I have to investigate this further when I find the time...

Not sure ... I bought what was supposed to be a Belkin to try. It was a two-port version with another internal port. hinv showed all three on the card plus the two built-in ports. I stuck a fonky tablet into one of the ports on the Fraudkin, recognized that as a keyboard right away. (I know, but what do you expect, cost three bucks. I couldn't get that tablet to work in Windows either.)

Sent that one back, pisses me off when they use a photo of one thing then send you a different one so now in process of ordering a different four + one port generic with NEC chip.

Does seem as if they should work in a Tezro ... maybe even an Octane with late o.s. and a cage ?

Those cards cost about $5 here so testing is not too expensive. Pondering a no-name combo card with TI firewire and NEC USB right now.
hamei wrote: ... maybe even an Octane with late o.s. and a cage ?

Nah, probably not. IP35 kernel driver; nothing like that in the IP30 tree (/usr/cpu/IP30boot).
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: ... nothing like that in the IP30 tree.

Got Source ? :P
/usr/cpu/sysgen/IP35boot/ohci.o

;)
All Rights Reserved.
A little more on the NEC-chip USB cards ... the one I sent back was a three-port model with NEC engine. Worked, all three ports showed up in hinv. Universal voltage card. Plugged a mousey into one port, showed up in ioconfig. Plugged a cheapo tablet in also, that showed up as a keyboard. At least stuff was talking.

Got cocky, insisted on the four-port + 1 that I'd bought. New one came, Fool won't boot. Won't get to the white light. I get a bare instant's worth of flash from the red led and that's it.

So much for getting cocky. Either I can eat crow now or go looking for another three port NEC-engine USB card.
hamei wrote: Got cocky, insisted on the four-port + 1 that I'd bought. New one came, Fool won't boot. Won't get to the white light. I get a bare instant's worth of flash from the red led and that's it.

I tried a four-port NEC USB card with the same result - machine won't even boot. Thought I was just unlucky in my chipset revision.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: I tried a four-port NEC USB card with the same result - machine won't even boot. Thought I was just unlucky in my chipset revision.

Have three different NEC-chipped cards coming. We'll see what pans out.

Stupid of me not to write down the info on the one that worked. Seemed like they all would :(
An update :

This is the one I really wanted to have work - Adaptec UAU 3020 dually card with TI chip for the firewire and a NEC chip for the USB. One slot, two birdies.

First one I got was a rev A in red . Alas, the firewire showed up but not the USB.

Second one was a later rev in blue . Shows up this way in hinv

Integral Fast Ethernet: ef0, version 1, module 001c01, pci 4
Iris Audio Processor: version RAD revision 13.0, number 1
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x3388, device 0x0021) PCI slot 1

So hip hip hooray but where is that little devil ? Rebooted and watched the messages more carefully this time :

WARNING : pciio_ppb : host pci slot /hw/module/001c01/Ibrick/xtalk/14/pci/1  does not support having multiple dma masters downstream. No devices behind that slot are being initialized. This behavior can be overridden by setting the kernel mtune pciio_multimaster_override.

So hmmm ... do I want to do that ? No guts, no glory, eh ?
hamei wrote: So hmmm ... do I want to do that ? No guts, no glory, eh ?

If you make a backup of /unix beforehand (say, to 'unix.backup'), you'd still have a way to boot the machine if something does go awry with the kernel.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: ... if something does go awry with the kernel.

Not a smart move with three major projects that must be finished by the end of the month.

I'll probably do it :D
That's why you make the backup of /unix :)

To boot the backup, you'd just restart the machine, stop for system maintenance, enter the command monitor, type 'boot'. At the SASH prompt, enter "unix.backup" and go.
All Rights Reserved.
YES !!

Two devices, one slot !

Adaptec AUA 3020 rev B, mine is blue . This one has two fullsized firewire ports along with the three USB's, the earlier one had a single fullsized and a mini port.

Systune pciio_multimaster_override 1

reboot

hold breath

Integral SCSI controller 3: Version IEEE1394 SBP2
IEEE1394 Disk: node d04b561107262b port 0 lun 0 on SCSI controller 3 (unit 2)
Disk drive / removable media: unit 3 on SCSI controller 3
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version QL12160, low voltage differential
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 1)
Integral SCSI controller 1: Version QL12160, single ended
CDROM: unit 6 on SCSI controller 1
IOC3/IOC4 serial port: tty1
IOC3/IOC4 serial port: tty2
IOC3 parallel port: plp1
Graphics board: V12
Integral Fast Ethernet: ef0, version 1, module 001c01, pci 4
Iris Audio Processor: version RAD revision 13.0, number 1
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x3388, device 0x0021) PCI slot 1
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x1033, device 0x0035) PCI slot 8
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x1033, device 0x0035) PCI slot 8
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x1033, device 0x00e0) PCI slot 8
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x104c, device 0x8024) PCI slot 12
IIDC Video Camera: unit 0, revision 1.30, connected to DM10, unit 0
HUB in Module 001c01/Slot 0: Revision 2 Speed 200.00 Mhz (enabled)
IP35prom in Module 001c01/Slot n0: Revision 6.210
USB Human Interface Device: device id 0 type keyboard
USB Human Interface Device: device id 0 type mouse

And the fahrwahr drive works loverly still. (Had to change the device address where it mounts from is all.)

eBay time for all you Fool owners :D