SGI: Hardware

X-Brick on O300?

Does anyone know if this is possible? I've hung the X-Brick off the XIO connector on my lowest numbered O300 brick. I'm able to communicate with the brick's L1 controller and configure it, but it doesn't seem to get detected at all, nor does anything I put in it. (Has a V10 in it right now). Yes, the obvious stuff is covered, I have a power bay, and L2 controller, and an R brick in the setup right now and all that works flawlessly. Could it be something to do with the Numbering of the X brick? Everything is set to rack 1 and stacked in the following order: O300 (1.1) O300 (1.2) R Brick (1.3) X Brick (1.4). and as stated before, the X Brick is tied to 1.1 via the XIO connector on the back.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
-Jesse
:O3x06R: :ChallengeL: :Octane: :Indy: (4x Challenge S)
Just culled the herd.
Recondas researched quite much about which brick we should be able to use in O200, and has a pretty report of his investigation in this thread .
Just curious : in your setup, are you using a "standard" R brick ? I mean a DC powered + power bay one, like the one for O3k ? Didn't you have any serial mismatch / security issue ?
:Onyx2: :O2: :O3x0: :O3x0:
Yes, I'm using an Origin 3k R brick from another system, and yes I did have serial mismatch errors, but now I don't. All that remains now is to find some more O300 systems to link in :-) I also thought about giving a C brick a try.... The Origin 300/3000 systems are very similar, I think if anything the issue with the X-Brick is probably just in the prom/kernel for the IP45. The fact that I can actually talk to the X-Brick's L1 controller seems to prove that it's actually talking though. Has anyone else tried this?

-Jesse
Just culled the herd.
Zerolapse wrote: Yes, I'm using an Origin 3k R brick from another system, and yes I did have serial mismatch errors, but now I don't.

Say more if possible...
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Hi there, what V10 do you have in your X-Brick? I also have an X-Brick that Id like to shove a couple v10/v12s in since I have a spare I, X, and C brick....

Best regards, E
I have a V10 out of an Octane in there, you have to remove the XIO carrier and the slot divider in the X brick (6 screws I think it was) and it'll slide right in.

-Jesse
Just culled the herd.
But have you ever actually got graphics working? Because as well as the physical issues you mention regarding screws, & difference in XIO carrier, the midplane and power board in a X-brick do not support the power required for Vpro boards (24-Vdc) - the X-brick only supports 2.5-Vdc, 3.3-Vdc and 5.0-Vdc.

Now if you have found a way to make them work I would sure love to know about it, as I have all the parts required to make a nice box with V12 graphics in it!

tjsgifan.
In order of use at the moment..... :Fuel: :O3000:

Currently looking to buy good :Fuel: and :O2: :O2+: machine.
I've yet to get the origin to even see the X-Brick, so that may be a show stopper. Still looking to know if anyone has any idea whether or not that actually works on an O300?

Thanks,
-Jesse
Just culled the herd.
OK fair enough. There's nothing in any SGI documentation I have that shows the X-brick as a working option for the O300. As has been commented elsewhere, the expansion bricks for O300's were limited to :

Router (AKA NUMAlink module) for connecting multiple O300 class modules together)
PCI expansion (AKA PCI expansion module, NOT P-Brick which is for O3000 series)
Storage (TP900 8-bay SCSI brick)

Although I believe Dr Dave has also added a G-brick to the list too......

And that's it. I think. ;)

tjsgifan.
In order of use at the moment..... :Fuel: :O3000:

Currently looking to buy good :Fuel: and :O2: :O2+: machine.
Yeah, I got the X brick for almost nothing so it was worth a try. I'm thinking about maybe trying to throw a C-brick in there to see if I could hang the x-brick off that instead. It would be interesting just to see if I could get the C brick to work anyway. :D
Just culled the herd.