SGI: Hardware

Onyx 1 help

I have a Onyx 1 with quad R4400 150's. I also have a quad r10k 195 board to go into it. I am having a problem with the R10k board. The system will not see all the processors and it is driving me nuts. I don't think it is the board or the procs, I think it may be the carriers. If anyone has the time and machine, I am willing to ship the board to you for repair. Please let me know if anyone is interested.

Thank you,
James
sgizone wrote: I have a Onyx 1 with quad R4400 150's. I also have a quad r10k 195 board to go into it. I am having a problem with the R10k board. The system will not see all the processors and it is driving me nuts. I don't think it is the board or the procs, I think it may be the carriers. If anyone has the time and machine, I am willing to ship the board to you for repair. Please let me know if anyone is interested.

Thank you,
James

Did you try enableing all the cpu's in the prom? Anything in sysmon?
-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
I have been through the PROM settings and done all that I know how to do. The first time I used the board it showed all 4 procs and then it dropped 2. I could reseat them and it would work somethimes and sometimes not. I noticed that one or two of the carriers were not in the best shape, so I am assuming that they are the problem.
What version of IO4 do you have? You'll need the latest version (part no. ends in 107, I think) to run R10k procs successfully.
I'm a pessimist, which makes me like a German vegetarian; I fear the wurst.
big_mark_h wrote: What version of IO4 do you have? You'll need the latest version (part no. ends in 107, I think) to run R10k procs successfully.

I've seen that statement in several places, but I've been running a -104 IO4 board with R10K processors in my Challenge L for a couple of years.

Do you know what sort of problems are supposed to occur if you have a pre-107 IO4 with R10Ks? I had some problems earlier this year, but none were traceable to the -104 IO4, and it's still in there.

Currently the machine's running six R10K processors, 3 GB RAM on two MC3s, the -104 IO4 board, a full complement of internal SE SCSI drives and an external DLT tape, and doing Just Fine.

-Shel
sgizone wrote: I have a Onyx 1 with quad R4400 150's. I also have a quad r10k 195 board to go into it. I am having a problem with the R10k board. The system will not see all the processors and it is driving me nuts. I don't think it is the board or the procs, I think it may be the carriers. If anyone has the time and machine, I am willing to ship the board to you for repair. Please let me know if anyone is interested.

Your best bet is probably just to buy a good IP25 off eBay or from some other Nekochaner (Nekochaniste? Nekochanoid?).

I've got a couple of duff ones myself: a 2-CPU one that gives the occasional panic, and a 4-CPU one that I ran for a couple of years before it ate its voltage regulator. I'm tempted to try to combine the two into one good board, but haven't tried it yet.

-Shel
OK this could be my problem. My IO board ends in -006. I guess I am looking for a IO board now. The quad R10k board did come from a fellow Nekochaner (Nekochaniste? Nekochanoid?), but this sheds some new light on the issue.

Thanks,
James