IBM

Intellistation 265 - Got it up and running - First impressions

So I finally made time and tested the Intellistation 265.

First impressions:

The system I have is in decent shape, not perfect though as the front door is broken off. No matter, got it for $125 so it was a decent deal overall and I intend to drive it into the ground.

Has a copy of AIX 5.3 installed, so I booted into that. I was pleasantly surprised at smit, the management tool. I don't usually care for menu based config, but they give a surprising degree of flexibility. Already impressed! Added a user and started X. Well they didn't install CDE and I don't have the orginal CDs. Checked RPM for a compiler... nada. So I'm going to be busy obtaining an AIX 5.3 copy to install the missing pieces.

System is overall pretty quiet, but its obnoxious that I have to plug in two PSUs... Other than that it is quiet while running and not running. Heavy as a motherfucker, though, the thing clocks in at 82 lbs.

Plans for the system currently are to mess around and learn AIX. Once I learn AIX comfortably I'm going to try getting FreeBSD running on it and using it as a ZFS/SAS host controller. It actually only should consume a max of 480W according to the PSU ratings so not bad at all.
:fuel: 900MHz 4GB
I've got a 285, really nice machine, but I haven't really got round to doing anything with it yet, I plan to run PostgreSQL on it. The only thing I've done, is put AIX 7 on it.

And yes, my system is so quiet I have to check the green light on the front to see if I've left it on.

One of the things I didn't learn quick enough was the 'on the fly' disk repartitioning. Had I known about it, I possible wouldn't have stayed at AIX 5.whatever.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
How is the 285 cooled?

AIX's "soft" partitions are part of what makes JFS great.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Without pulling the side off, just some big orange fans I think. Nothing special.

Interesting you ask that, I wonder if anyone has water cooled their Octane?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
Well, I guess compared to the Quad, the POWER5+ in the 285 is clocked slower, and I imagine there were power utilization improvements between generations (though both the POWER5+ and the 970MP are 90nm).
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
uunix wrote: Without pulling the side off, just some big orange fans I think. Nothing special.

Interesting you ask that, I wonder if anyone has water cooled their Octane?

Watercooling is a ripoff, its louder and if you have a good heatsink, less efficient.
System is now reloaded with a full AIX install, unfortunately I can't find a copy of the AIX cc, so I will deal with GCC... oh how I loathe it so. Oh well
xlc is licensed anyway. Get used to gcc. xlc does generate better code in some situations, but IBM has contributed quite a bit to gcc, and remember that gcc was part of the Apple PowerPC toolchain as well.
smit happens.