IBM

Possibly a stupid question about 9111-285 - Page 3

To clarify the situation:
In Linux: everything works, sound works, graphics works (with powermac radeon - console display to).

But Ideally I would like to run AIX to keep it authentic - in AIX: no sound - device /dev/paud0 present but no way to control it or use it.

Additional problem: additional scsi backplane is not supported (so it seems) unless adding another scsi controller would help
Image Image Image
wenp wrote:
jeremy123 wrote: I have tried aix 5 - 7 very interesting os...

It sounds like you tried AIX 5 to 7 on the same machine. How did they compare in terms of performance and resource requirements?

Well to be honest I cant see any difference in performance.
Its rather additional futures in 7. But then I haven't really test it hard, maybe there would be a difference after 4 days of calculations.
For now definitely most impressive part of this machine is disk subsystem - super fast. If it only could take 8 drives it would be a treasure.
Image Image Image
ClassicHasClass wrote: I have Catia on one of my HP C8000s, but it came with it from its previous owner. Haven't figured out how to start it up yet.

Okay I broke down and installed it on my Octane, the magic invocation to start it is a shell script named "catstart" somewhere in its insatallation root (can't recall the foldername exactly).

wenp wrote: Well to be honest I cant see any difference in performance.
Its rather additional futures in 7. But then I haven't really test it hard, maybe there would be a difference after 4 days of calculations.
For now definitely most impressive part of this machine is disk subsystem - super fast. If it only could take 8 drives it would be a treasure.

Did it have any of the CD/DVD/optical drives in the back bays when you got it?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
the magic invocation to start it is a shell script named "catstart" somewhere in its insatallation root (can't recall the foldername exactly).

Thanks! I'll try this next time I get the C8K on the workbench.

additional scsi backplane is not supported (so it seems) unless adding another scsi controller would help

That should certainly work in AIX 7. What does lsdev say?
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 800MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
when I had second scsi-backplane installed (identical PN of FRU as the first one)
2nd being the lower 4 drives. Machine does not boot - it will shutdown after while.
Its not clear to me if it possible or impossible to run it with 8 drives. But so far no luck.

I have 2 types of the scsi backplane - one is as I mentioned above same as the upper one.

at the moment machine has the second backplane with no drive connectors (kind of a blank) but it has a connector on inside from which the cable is run to the back of the machine (to have a scsi conector on the back) runs fine with this one and also scsi-devices connected through that backconector->blank-scsi-backplane are detected fine.
I'm worried its sort of marketing-Idea and disabled functionality so it won't take more drives in this workstation. - 9111-520 is identical mobo but horizontally rack-mounted machine marketed as a Server and
docs clearly show it can take 2 scsi-backplanes
Wonder if anybody can confirm that.

Upper media-bay has only a cdrom in it.
Image Image Image