HP/DEC/Compaq

C8000 HDD installation

Dumb question, but for the drive caddies for the C8000, what do you do to put the HDD inside because I cant figure it out...
:fuel: 900MHz 4GB
It's been a good while since I've had to open up my C8000's, but do they have drive caddies at all? I vaguely remember just having to put four disks in the disk compartment, connecting the cables, and off you go. They're not SCA and not accessible from the outside so no hotplug.
while (!asleep()) sheep++;
Alver wrote: It's been a good while since I've had to open up my C8000's, but do they have drive caddies at all?

Yes, there are caddies. Purplish plastic rails on the sides of the drive with a little metal plate underneath. H-P assembly P/N AB601-62006.

Edit: to answer the original question, page 3-20 the HP C8000 Technical Reference Guide (which can still be downloaded from HP) says:
Snap the drive inside the drive tray to attach rails to the hard drive. Pull outwards on the drive rails, then place the tray onto the drive. Align the pins on the tray wtih the holes on the drive and let the rails snap into place.

The illustration shows that being done with the drive upside down and snapping the tray in place from above (so that the tray is under the drive when installed right side up).
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
Jpstewart, that is EXACTLY what I'm having issues with. How do you put the HDD inside? Documentation for that task is not found online
I never took mine out of the caddies I don't think or installed any in them but they look like the dell ones where you just bend them open enough to have the metal pieces go into the screw holes.
:Indy: :rx2600: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
I got it worked out using jpstewart's instructions.
you must be kidding; I haven't any knowledge on this issue.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Shit, I got you and jpstewart mixed up... I must be getting Alzheimer's.

I need to lay off the alcohol I think.
Alright got the C8000 to boot, but.. its not recognizing any HDDs I put in. I'm using an 80-pin to SCA adapter to connect a Fujitsu SCSI which I have confirmed works fine. I've already forced the SCSI ID to both 0 and 1, its not doing it. Do I need to terminate all of the leads on the SCSI ribbon or something?
It's been awhile since I've been in mine, but ISTR there is an internal terminator, yes.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
TeamBlackFox wrote: Alright got the C8000 to boot, but.. its not recognizing any HDDs I put in. I'm using an 80-pin to SCA adapter to connect a Fujitsu SCSI which I have confirmed works fine. I've already forced the SCSI ID to both 0 and 1, its not doing it. Do I need to terminate all of the leads on the SCSI ribbon or something?

Can't say I've had to do anything at all to get disks detected; if there's any terminators required, they were factory installed in my machines. Are you sure it's not the SCA adapter? Are non-SCA disks working?
Getting some standard 80 pin disks instead so this should resolve the issue.
Eh, the C8000 takes 68-pin, right? Mine do, at least... 68pin plus standard four-pin connector...
68-pin I mean I get the disks confused all the time.