HP/DEC/Compaq

Smallest HPUX/OpenVMS System Ever? - Page 3

SAQ wrote:
If I had enough money and I was looking for potential commercial applications I'd go I64.

My desire for an HP-UX box is still unquenched, and the more I read and look around, the more I want to go the IA64 route for the added benefits of a more modern system, newer software support, and the ability to run HP-UX and OpenVMS on the same box (and as a result, a smaller overall footprint).

Now the next big step is to find an affordable Integrity somewhere!
Now my first VAX back in student accommodation at University back in 1995 was a MicroVAX 2000, uVAXII and a VS 3100/38.

Even then they were obsolete and the University CAD/CAM lab donated them to me.. I must have been the only guy in the UK with a VAX cluster in his dorm room....didn't impress the ladies so much but those were the days when being a geek was totally uncool....

Quote:
I also didn't really recommend the 2000

I wouldn't have recommended it even back in 1995 as even then the MFM RD53's were hard to get and RD54's impossible. Nowadays you are looking at $500-1000 for an RD54.. they are getting rarer.

Sun V100, USIIi 550, 1.5GB, 40GB, Debian Lenny 5.X
edikat wrote:
Now my first VAX back in student accommodation at University back in 1995 was a MicroVAX 2000, uVAXII and a VS 3100/38.

Even then they were obsolete and the University CAD/CAM lab donated them to me.. I must have been the only guy in the UK with a VAX cluster in his dorm room....didn't impress the ladies so much but those were the days when being a geek was totally uncool....

Quote:
I also didn't really recommend the 2000

I wouldn't have recommended it even back in 1995 as even then the MFM RD53's were hard to get and RD54's impossible. Nowadays you are looking at $500-1000 for an RD54.. they are getting rarer.

Yep, if you want to go VAX go with a VS4000 or related-era MicroVAX. Small, common-storage-bus, no 1.05GB limit for VMS, reasonably efficient - but still kind of slow.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
edikat wrote:
I must have been the only guy in the UK with a VAX cluster in his dorm room....didn't impress the ladies so much but those were the days when being a geek was totally uncool....

Ah yes, that brief window between 1994 and 1996 when being a geek was a liability. Thank goodness that dark period came and went so quickly... :lol:

I own one...got mine for pretty cheap, i.e. free, a few years ago from one of our clients who wanted to basically throw the machine away...I've been running Tru64 and OpenVMS 7.3 and 8.1 on it. Great machine, very powerful for it's time and you can put a wide variety of operating systems on it.

I built a clone PWS in pieces. Bought a new motherboard from usenet (2000 or 2001) and then pieced the rest together. You just have to get the right network/video/scsi cards. It runs OpenVMS, Tru64, *BSD, and Linux flawlessly. The only let down is the vanilla ATX case. It ran for like 7 or 8 years as a personal web server.
astouffer wrote:
I built a clone PWS in pieces. Bought a new motherboard from usenet (2000 or 2001) and then pieced the rest together. You just have to get the right network/video/scsi cards. It runs OpenVMS, Tru64, *BSD, and Linux flawlessly. The only let down is the vanilla ATX case. It ran for like 7 or 8 years as a personal web server.

PC164LX is the way to go for this - PC164 works (it's what I have), but there are memory limitations - one bank (jumper selectable) of either 4 or 8 72-pin SIMMS. It's not a true clone, but it's very close.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Oops should have mentioned it was a PC164 board. Mine only has 128Mb though. You will have to solder a jumper wire onto the ATX connector on the motherboard because the PC164 lacks the ability to turn the power supply on.
Winnili wrote:
The fairly recent, aforementioned, HP workstation zx2000 (IA-64) is fairly small, but very hard to find (and probably not going to be very affordable). I guess and that system would probably be capable of running the latest version, HP-UX 11i v3.1 U10 (although without HPVM support and such).
Quote:
If you do want HPVM (also known as Integrity VM) support, the smallest will probably be an HP Integrity rx2620 in 2U, 19" rack-mounting enclosure, with one or more “Montecito” ― i.e. Itanium 9000-series, with Intel VT-x Virtualization Technology ― processors...

Why do you keep overtrusting some wrong information you did read once somewhere? An Integrity VM had running nicely on machines starting from very early Itanium 2 (and possibly the first Itanium?) models produced by HP.
I have no problem of using an IVM 3.5 @ HP-UX 11v2 on my rx2600, running HP-UX, Linux and Win guests, and i can't call this all being slow.

P.S.: Besides, there are a lot of places, mentioning running IVM on "pre-Montecito" hosts. For example, at Novell or this discussion .

P.P.S.: If you took the info from HoffmanLabs post , than he just forgot to set an explicit mark that the info corresponds only to the OpenVMS running as guest in IVM.

• Offering various remaining systems and parts, several interestingly compatible with both IRIX and OpenVMS ( AXP and I64 );
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1-GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).