Sun

Sun CG12 / GS aka Matrox SG3-1152B graphics accelerator for 3D solid applications - Page 1

Some pics of the GS CG12 (cgtwelve) 24-bit integrated accelerator and color frame buffer from 1990 for SBus-based SPARCstations (1/1+/2 and 5?), partitial manufactured by Matrox Electronic Systems, Canada. Used as affordable 3D desktop graphics solution. Placed between the CG6 (2D/3D wireframe, higher 2D perf) and GT (3D solids, higher 3D perf) graphics. Anounced with the SPARCstation 2GS, Nov 5 1990 (Src: The Florida SunFlash).

Installed in the SPARCstation 1+ (Sun-4/65) with plenty 16 MBytes of RAM.
Ultra short snap of the card running in OPB. Yes, black and white only with console. Not so under SunView and OpenWindows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buI5nwHcQw0

FIrst run with SunDIag 2.3.3 tests under SunOS 4.1.4 went all fine
(unfortunatelly only a photo of the screen)
A GFX tape comes with the GS for SunOS 4.1.1. GFX still needed for SunOS 4.1.4? I think the tape including SunPHIGS, SunGKS, SunVision and XGL developer libs (headers etc). - Unfortunatelly not in my supply. :(

Code: Select all

Fully functional graphics:
- 24-bit true color
- 12-bit double buffer
- 16-bit Z-buffer
- 8 additional planes for overlays and windowing
- Gouraud shading with up to 8 lights
- Depth-cueing, hardware picking
- Multiple rendering modes
(...)
2. Graphics software:
* XGL runtime bundled on every system.
* SunPHIGS 1.3, SunGKS 3.0, SunVision 1.0, and XGL for developers
all orderable.
(...)
4.1.1 GFX:
(...) The GS also requires the installation of
the 4.1.1  GFX tape.  This tape will be bundled in with the GS for both
the SPARCstation 2GS configuration and the upgrade. This means that the
customer does *not* need to order this tape as a separate line item.
(...) The GS will run without the 4.1.1 GFX tape, but will be
*SIGNIFICANTLY* slower and less reliable.  Make sure this tape is
loaded.  There are only a few files contained on this tape and
installation instructions are included. Installation should be under 30
minutes.
(...)
4. Third Party Graphics Applications

GS Applications:
* SDRC I-DEAS rev. 5 FY Q2 90
* MDC Unigraphics version 8
* PDA Patran
* MCS Anvil-5000
* MARC Analysis Mentat
* Prime/CV CADDS5X
* Prime/CV Medusa
* ICAD
* Fluid Dynamics FIDAP
* ERDAS
(...)
SPARCstation 2GS: Desktop 3-D Graphics
======================================
* 150K 3D vectors/sec (1)  * Interactive 3-D performance
* 20K 3D Gouraud shaded polygons/sec (2)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Full-Featured Frame Buffers
- 24-bit true color        * Displays 16.7 MM colors - realistic images
- 12-bit double buffering  * Realistic graphics, smooth animation
- 16-bit Z-buffer          * Dynamic hidden surface removal
- Overlay/enable planes    * Three colors available to draw graphics over,
and independent of, 24-bit image data
- Window ID planes         * Allow viewing of double-buffered
graphics in multiple windows with
high performance
Dynamic 3-D functionality in hardware
* Available through Sun PHIGS and Sun XGL
- Gouraud shading          * Renders smooth, realistic 3-D models
- Eight colored light sources
* Adds visual realism
- Depth cueing             * Visual aid for compex 3-D wireframe model
Advanced technology
- Compact packaging        * Full-featured 3-D graphics integrated
into cost-effective SPARCstation 2 package
- Fast screen, Z-buffer clear
* Smooth animation
- Hardware picking         * Allows quick, interactive selection and
highlighting of model elements
- Fast text, raster operations
* Highly responsive windowing environment
- Multiple rendering modes * 1-bit, 8-bit, and 24-bit applications can run
simultaneously
(1) 3-D vectors are 10 pixels long.
(2) 3-D polygons are 12-bit, double-buffered, 100 pixels triangles,
Gouraud-shaded, Z-buffered and clipped, through SunPHIGS.

(...)
System           LP/USD  Avail Configuration
---------------- ------- ----- -------------------------------------------------------
SPARCstation 2   $14,995 Now   16 MB, 19" monochrome (bwtwo), 207 MB disk
SPARCstation 2GX $17,995 Now   16 MB, 16" color accelerated graphics, 207 MB disk
SPARCstation 2GX $19,995 Now   16 MB, 19" color accelerated graphics, 207 MB disk
SPARCstation 2GS $26,995 Now   16 MB, 19" color, accelerated 3-D graphics, 207 MB disk
SPARCstation 2GT $49,995 120dy 16 MB, 21" color, accelerated 3-D graphics, 207 MB disk

SPARCstation 1 and 1+ GX to GS Upgrade
The GS upgrade includes the GS board, which requires 3 S-bus slots, a new 19" Sony
Trinitron 76Hz monitor, and connecting cables.  Customers return their GX frame buffer,
color monitor, and cables.
The GS upgrade allows customers that are currently using software designed for GS level
performance to have a Sun solution for $9,995.
Source: The Florida SunFlash, November 1990
Sun Solaris 2.4 @ SPARCstation 2 and SNI PCD-4H . Migration path: NetBSD
Woww, another 24bit card for SBUS sparcs??

I only ever knew about the Fujitsu AG-10E and the rasterflex and rasterflex-hr 24 bit cards, never seen this!

Nice post! Any more information about it?
pilot345 wrote: Woww, another 24bit card for SBUS sparcs??

I only ever knew about the Fujitsu AG-10E and the rasterflex and rasterflex-hr 24 bit cards, never seen this

You are missing the Sun ZX/Leo and the Parallax boards. Have a look at http://hyperstation.de/SBus-Framebuffer/sbus_framebuffer.html for pictures.
:Indigo: R3000 (alas, dead) :Indigo: R4000 x4 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 x2 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4400SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 x3 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
pilot345 wrote: Nice post! Any more information about it?
Unfortunatelly only the infos within the code block of the former post.

There is a white paper " SPARCstation 2GS / SPARCstation 2GT Technical White Paper ", but nobody seems to have a copy.

If you want to compare it with solutions of other vendors, e.g. with SGI, HP/Apollo, IBM, DEC or highend PC's, look after workstation solutions dating back to late 1990 (Nov, 5 = anouncment of the SPARCstation 2GS). At least there will be differences between the used graphic APIs. This entry-level solid graphics sub-system with 24-bit color depth capability is optimized using the Sun XGL and Pixrect/Pixwin API libs .
Depending on the level of optimization within the graphics pipeline (implemented through device handler/driver), there are some functions accelerated in hardware other in software (host CPU). But for sure, the sub-system is by far less performant if used for ordinary/all day windowing operations (RasterOps), for which e.g. a CG6/cgsix is the better choice. Of course, also heat is a serious point here.

The example picture with the starship Enterprise is only wireframe, not a solid model. Anyway nice.

For creating something simple (some "simple" solids) you need also the development headers of the libs, which were sold separately with SDK (Solaris Software Development Kits).

Noticed it? One board is manufactured in collaboration with Matrox Electronic Systems. For each of the colors red, green, blue there is one dedicated DAC chip (BT).
Some history about Matrox graphic solutions

Matrox products in the late 80's until late 90's offered always the option for stacking base boards with upgrade options for gaining more sophisticated graphic features. So the products could be offered for price sensitive customers as for performance users searching state-of-the-art graphics hardware for high-end PC-based workstations.

Assuming the older naming scheme of vintage Matrox products was kind of...

<bus_type>-<max_(h)resolution>
So I guess Matrox SG3-1152 standing for " S -Bus or "SUN G raphics", "3 SBus slots or 3 D" (?) and "max horizontal resolution of 1152 (1152 by 900 pixels)
My investigations included requesting the technical support of Matrox but with minor success, because for the SG3-1152 there is no technical staff around anymore and documentation is lost or hidden (proprietary). But I found some articles in archives, e.g. BYTE Mag, PC Mag, InfoWorld Mag, CompWorld Mag.

Some older Matrox Graphics products and solutions, incomplete, in non-chronological order as follows:

QG-640 ( Q -Bus G raphics, max 640 px horizontal resolution)
PG-640 ( P rofessional G raphics for ISA 16-Bit Bus)
SM-640 ( S olid M odeling enabled PG-640 with stacked add-on board)
PG-1024 and SM-1024 (TI34010/TIGA-based coprocessor using DRAM + ASIC-based graphics acceleration using VRAM, max resolution 1024 by 768 px)
PG-1280 and SM-1280 (TI34010/TIGA-based coprocessor using DRAM + ASIC-based graphics acceleration using VRAM, max resolution 1280 by 1024 px)
PG-1281 and SM-1281 (TI34010/TIGA-based coprocessor using DRAM + ASIC-based graphics acceleration using VRAM, max resolution 128 0 by 1 024 px, revised and improved board version of PG-1280)
VG-1152 ( V ME-Bus G raphics, max resolution 1152 by 900 px for e.g. SUN VME-based workstations and servers Sun-3/Sun-4)
VG-1281 ( V ME-Bus G raphics, max resolution 128 0 by 1 024 px)
----
MG-3D (12-bit color,16-bit ISA, max 1024 by 768 px non-interlaced) and MG-3D Ultra (24-bit, 32-bit EISA, max 1280 by 1024 px non-interlaced) - "M" for "Modeling" or "Matrox" (?)
(...)lets AutoCAD users quickly shade a wire-frame three-dimensional model, and zoom, pan, twist, or rotate the drawing on any axis (...) edit 3-D wire-frame model. (...)EISA-bus computers, wil cost $5,995. It uses the C30 digital signal processor that is used in Sun Microsystems Inc.'s Sparcstaion .
Source: InfoWorld Apr 29, 1991
(...) use TI 340x0 family or proprietary coprocessors (...) to handle different shading algorithms. (...) In addition to custom ASIC processors, it also comes with a separate math coprocessor on-board to handle part of the heavy number crunching. Matrox has taken this high-end technology and incorporated some of it into its MGA chip set, which will provide esentials like 3-D acceleration, depth cueing, and Gouraud shading.
Source: InfoWorld Jan 12, 1993
Compared to Sun's GS the MG-3D line of accelerators are similar but sold directly by Matrox for PC workstations.
----
HiPer-VGA (S3 86C924-based Hi-Performance VGA controller, ISA, max resolution 1280 by 1024 px interlaced)
Matrox Impression 1024 (S3 86C911-based accelerator, ISA, max resolution 1028 by 1024 px non-interlaced)
The MGA (Multimedia Graphics Accelerator) line of graphics controllers including many hardware accelerated graphic features once found seaprated in multiple ASICs. Example products consisted of Matrox Impression and Matrox Ultra boards for ISA-, VL-, MCA- and later PCI-Bus leading to Matrox Millennium lines and successors.

Video with SunDiag tests running especially for the GS under SunOS 4.1.4 and SunView including showing some graphics, including starship Enterprise, standing upside down.
Yes I can confirm Matrox support for legacy hardware is erm... not great.

After sending 3/4 emails to a support guy (who has worked there for 12 years) the lines just went dead and the returned they favour by spamming me information on their latest graphics cards ( because I'm clearly interested in those after inquiring about a product form 1987 o.0).

A part of me is quite interested in Matrox and their early foray into '3D' hardware. I do have SM-1024 and PG-1281 and can confirm you findings. I wonder if I remove my add-on board from the SM-1024, could I turn my PG-1281 into a SM-1281 :) One day when I have enough guts and enough fun with it in its current 'shipped' configuration. The first SM-640 I've seen was manufactured mid-1987 ( viewtopic.php?t=16730932 ), and mine August 1992 (although SM-1024, so later series). Any more info on these would be great. :)

afaik, there was no GL driver (or GL layer/lib.. IrisGL for that matter) that could be used with them (PG/SM PC cards that is), as I think IrisVision was the first to bring anything hardware related to x86) but they all support CGA instructions and PGC instructions (which I think was the first hardware standard to include 3D functionality (albeit executing the instructions in a non SIMD way :) on x86).

Interestingly, my SM-1024 has an 'EGA in' DE-9 male connector and a 'VIDEO OUT' female DE-9. So it can possibly be used as a pass-thru for something else?

PHIGS and GKS drivers are available (so interesting to see what was available on SUN with the Matrox boards), and there are apparently PGC drivers for AutoCAD and a few others. I would dearly love to see some PGC code (I have the PGC IBM manual) since although there was a standard, I think even then manufacturer's were pushing with their own instruction sets because some of the features of what the SM-XXX cards can apparently do, are beyond the scope of PCG instructions. Which gives rise to the question... What did use this extra hardware, and what API's were employed for the job? Does anyone here have experience with PCG/PGA (Professional Graphics Controllers)?

It's nice to see some results on screen, I'm worried that in order to see anything remotely unique (outside of CGA/EGA display) it would involve me either sourcing some hard to find proprietary software or documentation and examples to code so demos too. Latter preferable, but both equally unlikely :(

P.S The SM/PG-640 are 8-bit ISA. later ones 16-bit ISA.
spiroyster wrote: Interestingly, my SM-1024 has an 'EGA in' DE-9 male connector and a 'VIDEO OUT' female DE-9. So it can possibly be used as a pass-thru for something else?
VGA passthrough?

spiroyster wrote: What did use this extra hardware, and what API's were employed for the job?
applications like AutoCAD, Microstation under DR- or MS-DOS. In most cases the graphics co-processor was an TI 34010, later models with TI 34020. So TIGA API (Texas Instruments Graphics Architecture) was used.

spiroyster wrote: ... hard to find proprietary software or documentation and examples to code so demos too.
software - no, e.g. AutoCAD 1x and drivers for your card but documentation unfortunatelly yes. I found some manual from Matrox about the QM-640 which is in fact the same architecture like the PG-/SM-640.

spiroyster wrote: P.S The SM/PG-640 are 8-bit ISA. later ones 16-bit ISA.
;-)

I have to find some architecture info about the MG-3D Ultra for comparing them directly with the GS / CG12 / SG3-1152.
And the sun goes down...

NICE! Some other 8514/A-based Matrox, the Matrox MG-108 and comparisons in InfoWorld magazine from Jul, 16 1990, p.51-73
https://books.google.de/books?id=KjwEAA ... &q&f=false
There's a compiler and assembler on the wayback machine for the 34010... gcc 2.5 based so pretty old but also much smaller codebase than modern gcc might be of interest to directly program the TMS340x0 on there.

http://web.archive.org/web/200802100524 ... tools.html

That and there were a few more things TMS34010 related I ran across and posted at 68kmla https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/to ... h-exactly/
Thx for the links. I take already a look. Nice. :-)

Mmm ... anyone here w/ a copy of package SUNWxglh in version 3.1 for SPARC (XGL Include Files - Headers) also included in the " Solaris 2.4 Software Developer Kit " (CD-ROM) or some developer enabled version of SunPHIGS for SPARC? The package SUNWxglh was later included in the Solaris install media starting from release 2.5. Not sure if XGL version 3.2 (Solaris 2.5) is backward compatible for use with Solaris 2.4!? I should give it a try. The problem is that the GS is not supported under 2.5 and later releases ( http://www-mipl.jpl.nasa.gov/install/sparcgraphics.html ). :-\
Some more information claiming the GS as an " straightforward low-end system ", including some architecture details ( Source ) - nice :D

BTW: I'm confused about the different versions of the cg12 versions, because ...

GRAPHICS
(...)
1067972 hi res version of cg12 ( gsxr ) text is trash in pr_b
( Source )

/opt/SUNWdiag/bin/cg12.data. gsxr
/opt/SUNWdiag/bin/cg12.data
( Source )

Sun Prod  ; Sun Part# ; Matrox Prod (B) ; Matrox Part# (B) ; Matrox Prod (M)  ; Matrox Part#(M) ; SBus Conn Loc ; Resolution ; Freq_v   ; Freq_h
----------;-----------;-----------------;------------------;------------------;-----------------;---------------;------------;----------;--------
GS CG12   ; 370-1329  ; <?>             ; <?>              ; <?>              ; <?>             ; 1+2 (PSU-near); 1152 * 900 ; 71.7 kHz ; 76 Hz
GS CG12   ; 370-1370  ; SG3-1152B/BASE  ; 0385-06-02       ; SG3-1152B/MODULE ; 0386-06-03      ; 1+2 (PSU-near); 1152 * 900 ; 71.7 kHz ; 76 Hz
GS CG12(*); 370-1407  ; <?>             ; <?>              ; <?>              ; <?>             ; 2+3 (PSU-far) ; 1152 * 900 ; 71.7 kHz ; 76 Hz
GS CG12   ; 370-1551  ; SG3-1152C/BASE  ; 385-03 REV:A     ; <?>              ; <?>             ; 2+3 (PSU-far) ; 1152 * 900 ; 71.7 kHz ; 76 Hz
My board has Sun Part# 370-1370, the 370-1407 or 370-1551 is confirmed by photo .
( * ) FEH 2.1 GS for SS10/SPARCstation 10)
"high res" probably means 1280x1024. 1152x900 would be standard res on a Sun. I believe the only support for 1600x1200 until the late '90s was in ECL monochrome.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
There where some graphics options in the 90's which are able to support even higher resolutions, if necessary not in 24-Bit color depth.
The following table lists all Sun boards (from the SSH) I could remember, used in the 90's (<2000) with resolution support >= 1600*1200 px

Product         ; Bus   ; Resolution  ; Freq_H    ; Freq_V
----------------;-------;-------------;-----------;--------
Sun MG3 ECL     ; P4    ; 1600 * 1280 ; 89.0 kHz  ; 66 Hz
Sun MG1 ECL     ; SBus  ; 1600 * 1280 ; 89.0 kHz  ; 66 Hz
Sun TurboGXplus ; SBus  ; 1600 * 1280 ; 101.8 kHz ; 76 Hz
Sun CG14 4/8MB  ; VSIMM ; 1600 * 1280 ; <?>       ; 66 Hz
Sun Creator3D   ; UPA   ; 1920 * 1080 ; <?>       ; 72 Hz
Sun PGX32       ; PCI32 ; 1600 * 1280 ; <?>       ; 76 Hz
Sun Expert3D    ; PCI64 ; 1920 * 1200 ; <?>       ; 75 Hz
Other sources for non-Sun products are already stated
escimo wrote:

Product         ; Bus   ; Resolution  ; Freq_H    ; Freq_V
----------------;-------;-------------;-----------;--------
Sun TurboGXplus ; SBus  ; 1600 * 1280 ; 101.8 kHz ; 76 Hz
Sun CG14 4/8MB  ; VSIMM ; 1600 * 1280 ; <?>       ; 66 Hz

Good catch! The cards for Ultras were the ones I was implying by "late '90s", but I had forgotten the SX could do it too.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Until now...
- "only" found the SDK 2.5 which contains at least the XGL headers, examples and manual pages but the header files refering to XGL version 3.0
- still interested in and searching for Solaris 2.4 Software Development Kit :-\

Soon I put the GS in my Sun SPARCstation 2 and install Solaris 2.4 plus the header package of SDK 2.5.
Then will do a trace on the SunDiag run to know if I already have the high resolution version and low res is maybe 1024*768 with Sun Part# 370-1329 (?)
Solaris 2.4 includes the following packages for the GS 24-bit Framebuffer

sx@jumper:/export/install/2_4_sparc/Solaris_2.4 $ for d in $(ls -1d SUNWgs* | sort) ; do echo $d ; cat $d/pkginfo | egrep "^(ARCH=)|(NAME=)|(PRODVERS=)|(DESC=)" ; echo ; done
SUNWgs.c
ARCH=sparc.sun4c
NAME=GS (cg12) Device Driver
PRODNAME=GS
PRODVERS=gfx_2.3
DESC=This package contains the device driver and boot-time configuration routines for the GS 24-bit frame buffer.

SUNWgs.L
ARCH=sparc.sun4mL
(...devdrv...)

SUNWgs.m
ARCH=sparc.sun4m
(...devdrv...)

SUNWgs.ma
ARCH=sparc.axil4m
(...devdrv...)

SUNWgsow
ARCH=sparc
NAME=GS DDX Support
PRODNAME=gs
PRODVERS=gfx_2.3
DESC=Contains Software support for the GS graphics accelerator. Not needed if you do not have a GS.

SUNWgsu
ARCH=sparc
NAME=GS (cg12) Run-time support software
PRODNAME=GS
PRODVERS=gfx_2.3
DESC=This package contains XGL/XIL loadable pipelines and headers for the GS 24-bit Frame Buffer.
PRODVERS refering to the GFX Version 2.3, so the 4.1.1 GFX tape (for SunOS 4.1.1) mentioned before does not contain any XGL or SunPHIGS files for development (header), only runtime (RT) files (loadable pipline drivers for XGL).
Because I don't have access to my SPARCstation 2 at the moment, I have to use my SNI PCD-4H/33 with Solaris 2.4 for testing the SDK 2.5 packages.

# uname -a
SunOS sphinx 5.4 Generic_101946-64 i86pc i386

# pkginfo | grep lsk
application SUNWxglsk      XGL Include & Example Files, Manpages
application SUNWxilsk      XIL Developer's Kit

$ echo $XGLHOME
/opt/SUNWits/Graphics-sw/xgl
$ echo $XILHOME
/opt/SUNWits/Graphics-sw/xil
$ echo $MANPATH
/opt/SUNWspro/man:/opt/SUNWste/license_tools/man:/opt/SUNWsdk/sdk_2.5/xgl/man:/opt/SUNWsdk/sdk_2.5/xil/doc/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/openwin/share/man

After compiling all examples, one "frameshot" of demo color_cube running with 8-bit (indexed) color depth
xgl-01.png
xgl-01.png (10.9 KiB) Viewed 557 times

Seems to work, some kind of ... with demo transparency_ovl the X Server crashed after loading the two OpenLook windows.
escimo wrote: Seems to work, some kind of ... with demo transparency_ovl the X Server crashed after loading the two OpenLook windows.
The demo (transparency_ovl) is working in general, but always if I want to take a screenshot the X Server will fail and terminate. Nevertheless there isn't much acceleration with my x86 box: no dedicated dev pipeline (dynamically-loadable shared object module) for the built-in graphics chip (CL GD-5428, 1MB DRAM). Simply the systen does not fit for this purpose w/ this configuration:

$ cd /opt/SUNWits/Graphics-sw/xgl/demo && ./install_check

xgl-02.png
xgl-02.png (5.72 KiB) Viewed 444 times
No DGA (Direct Graphics Access) support to bypass the X11 protocoll overhead.

The inq demo application call xgl_inquire() for some more detailed information

$ inq
Inquire Information:
XPEX
Xlib port
Accelerated Color Type(s): INDEXED
Depth : 8
Width : 1024
Height: 768
Double Buffering
Using hardware swap
Point Types:
2D
3D
FLOAT
Software Zbuffer in host
Picking emulated in software
Double buffering accelerated through hardware
Index colors accelerated through hardware
True colors emulated in software
Depth cueing accelerated through hardware
Lighting emulated in software
Shading emulated in software
Hidden line removal not supported
Antialiasing emulated in software
No stereo support
Multi Buffering supported

One XIL image viewer demo

$ pwd
/home/sx/graphics/xil/display
$ i386/display toys.header

xil-01.png
xil-01.png (98.77 KiB) Viewed 444 times

Next step: install pkgs on SPARCstation under Solaris 2.4
Whoever wants to test the small demos, send me PM.
escimo wrote: Then will do a trace on the SunDiag run to know if I already have the high resolution version and low res is maybe 1024*768 with Sun Part# 370-1329 (?)
After I found the header file cg12reg.h it's clear and interesting because I don't have any further information about the HR version.

(...)
#define    CG12_WIDTH        1152
#define    CG12_HEIGHT        900
#define    CG12_WIDTH_HR     1280
#define    CG12_HEIGHT_HR    1024
(...)
miod wrote:
pilot345 wrote: You are missing the Sun ZX/Leo and the Parallax boards.
Someone seen or know the following boards?
* DuPont Pixel Systems GLengine-24XP and GLengine-48XP SBus boards (2nd generation) for PX/ IRIS GL port for SPARC.

VME boards alternatives...
* Evans & Sutherland (E&S) Freedom Series 1000 and 3000 (stand-by graphics subsystem) using e.g. ES/PEX, XGL
* Vicom Visual Computing VX and MVX (1x/4x i860)

Soon try some of the XGL samples, running on my SS2 with GS graphics under Solaris 2.4.

BTW: PCD-4H using now a ATi Graphics Ultra Pro (Mach32) ISA board wit 2 MiB VRAM for higher resolution (1280*1024px @ 8bpp) in conjunction with 19" LCD for crispy clear fonts, ok better than before, because scaling could not be switched off with resolution less than the native one.
escimo wrote: Soon try some of the XGL samples, running on my SS2 with GS graphics under Solaris 2.4.
Info with XGL install_check on the SPARSstation 2GS running Solaris 2.4 HW 3/95 Operating Environment

cg12-sol24-01.png
cg12-sol24-01.png (5.53 KiB) Viewed 295 times

C compiler and XGL header files next.
After installation of all tools and utilities, including header files I managed to compile all XGL and XIL demos.
The output of the XGL demo "inq" wasn't what I expected: still many lines with "emulated in software"

$ inq
Inquire Information:
Sun:GS
Direct Graphics Access
Accelerated Color Type(s): INDEXED
Depth : 8
Width : 1152
Height: 900
Single Buffering
Using hardware swap
Point Types:
2D
3D
INT
FLOAT
Hardware Zbuffer
Picking emulated in software
Double buffering emulated in software
Index colors accelerated through hardware
True colors emulated in software
Depth cueing emulated in software
Lighting emulated in software
Shading emulated in software
Hidden line removal accelerated through hardware
Antialiasing emulated in software
No stereo support
No Multi Buffering support

$ truss inq 2>&1 | grep ^open | grep pipeline
open("/opt/SUNWits/Graphics-sw/xgl/lib/pipelines/xglSUNWswp.so.4", O_RDONLY) = 5
open("/opt/SUNWits/Graphics-sw/xgl/lib/pipelines/xglSUNWmem.so.4", O_RDONLY) = 5
open("/opt/SUNWits/Graphics-sw/xgl/lib/pipelines/xglSUNWcg12.so.4", O_RDONLY) = 5

My favorite demo "transparency_ovl" (transparency overlay) breaks in the moment the OpenLook window opens. With my x86 box there is no problem at all.

$ transparency_ovl

XGL Version = XGL 3.1
Color mode = TrueColor
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request:  138 (SUN_OVL)
Minor opcode of failed request:  4 ()
Serial number of failed request:  190
Current serial number in output stream:  196
Maybe some other application blocking or occupying the overlay map? - I have no idea.

Some of the demos are much faster, e.g. in rotation/transformation, compared to the x86 box w/o special XGL device pipeline but higher (internal 66MHz) clockrates. Also the sundiag test cases for the CG12 are much faster in displaying the results compared to the SPARCstation 1+ (Sun-4/65).

Window screenshot of XIL example with CT image (?)
xil-02.png
xil-02.png (129.39 KiB) Viewed 239 times

Screenshot of XIL demo movie_player_example (JPEG playback)
xil-03.png
xil-03.png (8.87 KiB) Viewed 239 times

Hope to find better demos for the CG12, some day