Sun

The comical arrogance of a 1992 Sun ad

Yes, *that* Ed Zander. The one who is not loved by too many at Motorola.
--
:Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Fuel: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:
No points for guessing who John and George are. Just look at the address book to the right.
--
:Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Fuel: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:
Wasn't 1992 an election year in the US? So, depending on the month this was published...

Arrogance? Yes, Sun had plenty of it, and a touch more than most -- but it's not like it wasn't common across the entire industry. No different in Silicon Valley today than it was then. What's one of the most quoted lines from The Social Network ? "A million dollars isn't cool, you know what's cool? A billion dollars." It's become part of the story our culture tells itself as a baseline about Silicon Valley...

Data General was famously aggressive in their advertising in the 70s. How would you characterize Apple's ads over the years? ("1984," congratulating MSFT on Win95, etc)
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Boris@kremlin - lol :mrgreen:
:Octane2: :320:
IMO it'd have shown a more savvy touch to have had him as "boris@kremvax".
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
smj wrote: How would you characterize Apple's ads over the years? ("1984," congratulating MSFT on Win95, etc)

I'm probably not the target customer for Apple products, but I personally don't like too many of the supposedly iconic Apple ads. I get that the 1984 concept was interesting, but I certainly don't think it one of the greatest ads of all time. Ditto for the Mac vs Pc ads. And the "Welcome, IBM" ad... That's the kind of pomposity I don't care much for.

That said, I did like the think different ads. I've seen them a couple of times and that's enough, however.

I liked the rs/6000 print ads with Hagar the Horrible :-) no one ever talks much about them, but I like the simplicity and directness of period IBM ads, with that bit of humour big blue was able to incorporate into them.
--
And the Little Tramp, and the M*A*S*H ads. Whatever IBM was smoking, it wasn't the good stuff.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Mash is a bit of a put off in general.

Hagar, on the other hand...
--
And here's Apple telling us they are actually cheaper than PCs:
--
I don't believe it

samsung galaxy s6 tasche
Träume nicht Dein Leben, sondern lebe Deinen Traum. hulle6
sgifanatic wrote: And here's Apple telling us they are actually cheaper than PCs:

I lol'ed at "had to but new programs". For most people, it was exactly the opposite. They had a stash of windows software copied from friends (freeware or not), and maybe some genuine windows software, and if you moved to Macs, you had to buy everything from scratch (or be extremely lucky to also have a friend with a Mac).

Also, before laptops, people used to build their own systems and salvage soundcards, optical disc drives, floppy drives, mice, keyboards, monitors etc from their old PC. This brought down the price quickly.