Sun

PHP on Sun Oracle Java IPlanet Interstellar Zoomie Zoomie

Adding PHP to the webserver, kind of ugh but whatcha gonna do ? There are two methods, building php --with-nsapi=/opt/webserver or using php-fm. Method One is theoretically more of a pita since you have to redo it every time you update either the webserver or php ... but I don't update so that's not really applicable.

Other than that, anyone have any real-world recommendations concerning these different methods ?
he said a girl named Patches was found ...
if your are in the freakin solaris boat, i would use apache/php packages from http://www.opencsw.org/ and leave this iplanet crap out of the game. dont forget to remove the apache/mysql stuff that comes with slowlaris before.

Code: Select all

pkgrm SUNWaclg SUNWapch2d SUNWapch2r SUNWapch2u SUNWapchd SUNWapchr SUNWapchu
pkgrm SUNWmysqlr SUNWmysqlt SUNWmysqlu

no plan
yetanother**ixuser wrote: if your are in the freakin solaris boat, i would use apache/php packages from http://www.opencsw.org/ and leave this iplanet crap out of the game.

Thank you :P but this fish gotta swim upstream. Plus I have everything running on the Alphabet Server already and I'm lazy ...

To put it another way, ignoring the Sun Java Oracle, what's the opinion on php-fm ? Good, bad or indifferent ? It sort of looks attractive but I don't know much about php.
PHP-FPM is the most efficient form of running PHP scripts, not as fast as mod_fcgid, but less memory intensive if tuned right, definfitely faster and more secure than mod_PHP. However I'd recommend not using it with Apache because honestly Apache post 1.3 was rubbish. Use with NGINX though and you have a killer webserver/PHP combination.
SGI:
:A3502L: Dual Itanium [email protected] 4GB Marisa
:Octane2: Dual R14000A@600MHz 2GB V12 Sakuya
Non-SGI:
HP C8000
HP EliteBook 8560p [email protected] 16GB Youmu FreeBSD 10.1/Windows 8.1
IBM IntelliStation 265 Dual POWER3-II@450MHz Jigoku-Karasu ( Hell Raven )

Incoming/On bench for repair/not in service:
2x :O3x0: Origin 300

For Sale: O2 DIMMS, Octane and O2 caddies.
TeamBlackFox wrote: ... Use with NGINX though ...

Did I mention I'm not much on crowds ? :P Thank you for the feedback on php-fm tho. I'll give it a try.
Up to you. I just like my low memory usage with NGINX honestly.
SGI:
:A3502L: Dual Itanium [email protected] 4GB Marisa
:Octane2: Dual R14000A@600MHz 2GB V12 Sakuya
Non-SGI:
HP C8000
HP EliteBook 8560p [email protected] 16GB Youmu FreeBSD 10.1/Windows 8.1
IBM IntelliStation 265 Dual POWER3-II@450MHz Jigoku-Karasu ( Hell Raven )

Incoming/On bench for repair/not in service:
2x :O3x0: Origin 300

For Sale: O2 DIMMS, Octane and O2 caddies.
TeamBlackFox wrote: Up to you. I just like my low memory usage with NGINX honestly.

The iPlanet Webgarbler is pretty neat. It's not really a web server, it's more like a cluster of centrally-managed web servers. Not for everybody but it's pretty good at what it does.
Minor historical note: iPlanet Webserver is the descendant of the Netscape Enterprise Server and Netscape FastTrack Server products. FastTrack was bundled with IRIX at least as early as IRIX 6.2, continuing through the first handful of IRIX 6.5 releases, when it was replaced by SGI's flavor of Apache . I used Enterprise Server on IRIX for a rather demanding web application (by 1998 standards) until SUN bought the product line and IRIX support was dropped. It was a great product for its time: fast, flexible, and very easy to administer. FastTrack also was pretty impressive for its polish, IMHO.