Sun

Converting a SunFire V240 to a desktop machine

Hi guys,
I've got a V240 and I was very happy but the machine produces unbearable noise which drives me crazy. I'd like to have and use a SPARC machine but the only way to achieve that is by making it (more) silent.
My idea is building a custom case with a silent power supply and fans. I found out that the V240 system board is quite similar to the Blade 2500 mainboard . There's a thread on Nekochan about rewiring an ATX PSU for Blade 1500 .
My question: is it possible to build such a machine? Where can I find the V240 system board PSU pinouts?

Thanks a lot,
indyboy

Were I in your situation, I'd first look at just replacing the fans and seeing how far that would get me - start by checking noise (dbA) specs for current fans versus likely replacements. But in the end, keep in mind it may be cheaper to buy/trade for a 2500 than rig a V240 for "silent running."

Were I in your situation, I'd first look at just replacing the fans and seeing how far that would get me - start by checking noise (dbA) specs for current fans versus likely replacements. But in the end, keep in mind it may be cheaper to buy/trade for a 2500 than rig a V240 for "silent running."

I think replacing the fans wouldn't be so hard except the PSU where I'd risk the destroying of the PSU(s) with a not suitable fan :?
It's a low-end config with 1 GHz CPU and 2GB of memory w/ disks but in good shape and I have the rails too. I highly doubt that I can trade it even for a Blade 150 :)