Sun

Looking for the list of Solaris proprietary software - Page 2

If you just want a list of available software compatible / runable on SUN hardware, you have to look on one these CD-ROM's: Sun Solutions CD

Cheers,
escimo
SAQ wrote:
FrameMaker was big on Sun as well, better than the Island ports (SunPaint, SunWrite, SunDraw) for big projects (though it didn't do the graphics).

Framemaker and Interleaf were a big deal with the tech writers at various companies I worked for prior to ~1997. I still heart Frame. Wish it were more affordable; I think Adobe continues to ride a revenue stream from people who need to deal with SGML.

I have a mug for Asterix from Applix, an office suite competing with Island etc in the early- to mid-90s. I think they tried to offer it on Linux early on.

ZMail, the GUI mail user agent (MUA) of comp.mail.zmail fame. Again, early- to mid-'90s. Seen on many UNIX platforms, including SunOS 4/5.

Lotus Notes! :twisted: We were forced to use it on SunOS around '94.

Purify and other good bits from Pure Software, before they were bought by Rational or IBM.

There's got to be some useful lists like this on some of the more Sun-focused sites. And the Sun Catalyst or Solutions CDs would be a good place too, as escimo mentioned.

Call us old fashioned but we're still using Interleaf 6 on virtually all of our technical publications to this day, running on Sun Blade 2500s... :mrgreen:

World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote:
Call us old fashioned but we're still using Interleaf 6 on virtually all of our technical publications to this day, running on Sun Blade 2500s... :mrgreen:

I will not call you old fashioned, but rather wise. Only now when I check with Word 2010 do text styles seem to work properly - probably only because in two minutes I can only make a trivial test...