Sun

Solaris 10 10/09 is out

For those of you who want to get the (hopefully) last version of Solaris 10 before Solaris 11 comes out, it's here.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Yes sir. It has been out for a week or so now though. The most excellent news is the zfs flash archive support. Makes my job easier. :)
Stuff.
Gonna give this a whirl when I get back, see how it compares to SXCE/OpenSolaris.
Sun's surprising quiet about their updates.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Do they support ZFS boot volumes yet?
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
R-ten-K wrote: Do they support ZFS boot volumes yet?

Bootable zfs came with U6.
Stuff.
Good, I have been following opensolaris mostly. So I had little clue where Solaris 10 was at.

(SUN's message wrt Solaris is rather unfocused me thinks).
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
R-ten-K wrote: (SUN's message wrt Solaris is rather unfocused me thinks).

Especially the part where they do everything but ask "are you sure you want to get that one" when you try to get Solaris 10 instead of OpenSolaris.

Funny you say that, since I think that is how I initially ended up with OpenSolaris.
So does Sol 10/09 have the newer version of gnome and updated theme from Opensolaris? I've been using b125 of SXCE on my b2k. Never been a huge gnome fan but it's starting to become bearable and some things like SunPCI software require gnome or cde.
No, the JDS version did not change in 1009, and wont change until Solaris 11 (the SXCE builds you are using now have the version).
Stuff.
As an FYI there seems to be a glimmer of hope that us SPARC users will be able to use XVR-500/600/1000/1200 with Solaris 11 and Opensolaris. Apparently is seems possible that the XSun stuff might be able to be grafted on top of an OS or Sol 11 install. There is the beginnings of a project to package XSun into a separate install package to make that process easier. Sorry I can't find a link the forum thread and project wiki, but it is real.
Solaris 11 SHOULD have XSun, and all of the other Sun proprietary goodies that are in Solaris 10. The OpenSolaris builds will never get it because of licensing, atleast thats how I read it from Sun.
Stuff.
Well it should, but they declared about 8 months ago that it would be XOrg only and as such only support for the low-end XVR-100/300 cards on the SPARC platform.
There is apparently a driver for the XVR-2500 in the works for Xorg. Alas, since it's a PCI-E card and bloody awful expensive, that doesn't help us Ultra and Blade users. (Or, well, anyone except those few with Ultra 25/45 machines...)