SGI: Video

next neko-mplayer release

Just tried to play a wmv file - I know, ugh - but :

Code: Select all

Requested video codec family [wmv9dmo] (vfm=dmo) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Requested video codec family [wmvdmo] (vfm=dmo) not available.
Enable it at compilation.

any chance the mplayer krew could enable this at the next compile time ? It'd make one fewer reason to fire up the smelly Windows box.
Not really possible since mplayer depends on Windows .DLL files to implement Windows Media hence that solution only works on x86 Linux.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: Not really possible since mplayer depends on Windows .DLL files to implement Windows Media hence that solution only works on x86 Linux.

Oh. Phooey. Thanks for the info .... maybe the world needs a wmv-to-avi converter. Or maybe the world needs to drown Bill Gates but it's probaly too late for that ...
You bring the sack, I'll bring the bricks...
You might want to check out what Turbo Linux did with it's 10 F distro. It has a Licensed legit codec for wmv/wma on linux. Not sure if it depends on .dll files but I doubt it.
while we're at it: it would be extremely cool if mplayer could output to video (similar to mediaplayer or dmplay functionality) if such a device was found on the system. would that be possible to integrate into a new build?
Or, and excuse my ignorance if this already possible, rip a movie stream into an image sequence/audio file combo. Think H264 qt7 files to compressed sgi's for further manipulation.

J
yep mplayer lets you do that w/ the -vo flag i think

try mplayer -vo help and it should give you an array of available video output formats.

if that's not it man mplayer

I use it all the time, it's pretty fast outputting tga's
mrj wrote: Or, and excuse my ignorance if this already possible, rip a movie stream into an image sequence/audio file combo. Think H264 qt7 files to compressed sgi's for further manipulation.

J

Woooow hold the press.....
You mean that mplayer can playback H264 Quicktime 7 HD movies????

Can anyone confirm this?
I can feel it, my mind is going ....
nah he wants to convert such video files into sgi file sequences, probably to feed them into a compositing/editing app.
Thanks for bringing me back to earth :wink:
I can feel it, my mind is going ....
Mplayer can play H.264... the ffmpeg webpage was crowing about having playback support on the day QT7 was released. Probably needs a recent CVS build.

To spit out image sequences, I go: mplayer -vo tga -vf format=bgr24 somefile.mov. Some apps get the channels mixed up without the format filter. This works so much faster than outputting image sequences from Final Cut Pro :) Just wish it could output SGI format images... I should write another output plugin...
Quicktime 7 on IRIX. Really! :)
lewis wrote: Just wish it could output SGI format images... I should write another output plugin...

Oh please do. Tga support is lacking and they're all uncompressed coming out of mplayer 1.05. Some nice RLE encoded SGI's would fit the bill quite nicely Lewis!

J
Probably be pretty simple if I used Irix's libraries. When I next have some time... although it's not like I use mplayer since I discovered its DV stupidities.