SGI: Video

Mplayer "Error While Decoding Frame" Every. F-ing Time

So I was trying to watch one of my favourite movies on Miku today, and lo and behold mplayer freaking pussies out with the commandline output full of " Error while decoding frame " messages

Details on the file: its a 480p, x264/AAC encoded file. Audio comes in fine, but all I get for image is a torn first frame

I have tried the following outputs:

mplayer -vo sgi -fs <file>
mplayer -vo gl2 -fs <file>

on the latter, the X server crashes and restarts and I'm brought back to xdm.

Is this because the v6 isn't powerful enough to display the video? or is it a problem with Mplayer?
Entire collection up for sale :(
Give -vo x11 a try?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Try it without the fullscreen option, too. The only time mplayer crashes on me is during resizes. Maybe there's something fragile in the sizing code.
I never thought that a fat man's face would ever look so sweet ...
I would guess it's a problem decoding a frame rather than outputting it to the screen though. The actual error message and surrounding messages (more -v for verbose perhaps) is usually useful when asking for advice, and possibly a link to the source media (or snippet exhibiting the same symptoms).

Not that I have much clue about mplayer, but "Error While Decoding Frame" seems to me like reporting "*** Error code 1" from make output.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
duck wrote: I would guess it's a problem decoding a frame rather than outputting it to the screen though.

99% chance you are right, but I have some videos that output a whole stream of that message to the console.

I think I'd still try not asking for fullscreen, so it doesn't have to resize as well as decode. Still probably crashes but one fewer variable, maybe ?

Yes, should toss up a sample. If it works elsewhere, the problem is local.
I'll look into it more this week. Been busy away from home most of the time begging for a job, so this got back burner'd.
Just an update that -fs or none there is no difference. I'm guessing that with the 300MHz CPU in there that may be the bottleneck? Video plays fine when converted to Xvid on my server. I'll do some more digging
TeamBlackFox wrote: Just an update that -fs or none there is no difference. I'm guessing that with the 300MHz CPU in there that may be the bottleneck? Video plays fine when converted to Xvid on my server. I'll do some more digging

Not sure about the 300 mhz, seems to me I watched videos on the O2 with mplayer and they were often okay but that is a little feeble ... One thing I see tho is that a lot of videos are just crap. I don't mean artistic quality, I mean encoding etc. So many error messages and have to mess around with various commands to even get many of them to play :(

My guess is, maybe 20% of the playtime videos I get sent are total garbage ?
I'll probably just have to wait till the Raspberry Pi APIs up and running again I'll use that and my XBOX Classic for playback.