SGI: Development

beta: autoconf 2.69

Yo, been using this at least a year now, haven't had any disasters. If a couple more people would kick the tires and give 'er a vote it could move into /current ...
Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the "Ellie May," a sturdy whaler captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.
I hate to say it, but I've spotted two problems with autoconf 2.69.

First off, neko_autoconf-2.69 (from beta) and neko_autogen-2.68 (from current) both claim to contain the "autoconf 5" package. I don't think it's right that they both have the same package name and serial number. (It looks to me like the autogen one is just a mis-named tardist file; autogen is one of the scripts in the autoconf package.) That will very likely cause problems for anyone who has 2.68 installed and wants to update to 2.69.

The other problem is that the autom4te script in neko_autoconf-2.69 complains about not being able to find the m4sugar/foreach.m4 file. So I think there's (at least) one file missing from the tardist. (The m4sugar directory exists and contains other files.)

Unfortunately, that means I vote "no" for autoconf 2.69 in its current form.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
jpstewart wrote: Unfortunately

Nah, that's what q/c is all about - finding problems. Doesn't do any good to have some eager-beaver dork :oops: chanting "this is kewl d00d ! ship it !"

Please keep it up, and thank you. Q/C is important. Once upon a time nekoware was the best.

I had no trouble installing it, however. So I'm not sure your first objection is a real problem. If autogen is just a script inside the autoconf package, it should not be a problem if it's identical ? If autoconf overwrites it, fine. If not, also fine, because it's already there ?
Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the "Ellie May," a sturdy whaler captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.
I'm uploading neko_autoconf-2.69_6.tardist to /incoming. It does include m4sugar/foreach.m4 (no Idea why that was missing, I seem to have neglected to rebuild the .tardist before uploading, my local .idb was already fixed), drops Struct.pm, which shouldn't have been in there in the first place, properly installs the info pages and tags the binaries as 0x620 (is that "correct"?), and bumps the version to 6.
I finally had a chance to (briefly) test the revised autoconf-2.69 package today. So far all is well. It doesn't exhibit the problems I saw with the previous one.

This one (serial number 6) gets my vote for moving to current.

Thanks, canavan!
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000