SGI: Development

5 to 6.5 porting / xlib

i got a program made for irix 5.x and it works fine on 6.5. except one thing: pop up menus. pushing the button works but as soon as the menu is supposed to pop out above the button it crashes.
maybe somebody got the same issue in the past and knows a fix?

any hints would be most welcome :)

int  _XFlushInt(<stripped>) ["XlibInt.c":648]
int  _XFlush(<stripped>) ["XlibInt.c":591]
int  XSetWindowBorderWidth(<stripped>) ["BdrWidth.c":42]
Core from signal SIGBUS: Bus error

unsigned long lwidth = width;   /* must be CARD32 */
so there's a basic incompatibility between unsigned long on the computer the binary was compiled on and the workstation you're trying to run it on. Yet another reason to be added to the "X Windows Disaster" chapter of the "Unix Hater's Manual:" http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/unix-haters/x-windows/disaster.html

How so? If the program was compiled 32bit, then the program will either run as 32bit or not run at all.

If the program was compiled with pre- 64 bit headers, and as n32 or o32 binary then it is self-consistent.

maybe it's not the irix version but the gfx card. mgras and vpro have the same issues so i assumed it was irix. gonna try on an ir2 ...

yes and no hehe. unfortunately the onyx is just too loud for longer, serious sessions so i guess i'll either put the old app back onto the shelf or run it on the indigo2. however r4400 and extreme gfx might be not as much fun as the r12000 ir2 onyx :P

hmm maybe i should upgrade the indigo to r10000 and impact. some models could do that iirc just not sure anymore on what it depended ...