SGI: Development

Bochs 2.3.7 x86 system emulation uploaded to incoming

All,

I have build and uploaded neko_bochs-2.3.7 to the ftp site (incoming). I have successfully booted both freedos and linux.

Enjoy!

Eric
Have you ever tried to run a graphical desktop with linux (or any Microsoft OS) running under bochs? So as to make bochs a useful alternative to SoftWindows, on reasonably fast SGI hardware (e.g. Fuel 600 Mhz) :)
I've tried the ancient freeware version some time ago, and anything graphical seemed completely unresponsive.

Oliver
The last time I use Bochs to run a Windows OS (Windows 95) was back on an R5k O2 if I remember correctly. It was slow thats for sure.

Bochs has gotten quite a bit faster back then (still interpreted x86 tho), and pretty big jump from an R5k to R14/16k. I've been meaning to find my Windows 2000 OEM install disk and get this installed (on my TODO list). Once I get it up and running I'll let you know how it performs relative to Windows 95 on Softwindows.

I'm also working on building QEMU 0.91. I did have QEMU 0.7x running quite a while ago on my old Octane and that was considerably faster then Bochs. Probably going to be awhile until I get back to QEMU 0.91, but if I get it built and working will post it up.

Best regards,
Eric
Yes, (neko_)qemu would really be a nice achievement!!! There was a patch set for IRIX (version 0.8 ), but this has become non-functional with ongoing changes in the code.

Good luck
Oliver
emachine wrote:
All,

I have build and uploaded neko_bochs-2.3.7 to the ftp site (incoming). I have successfully booted both freedos and linux.

Enjoy!

Eric

Just a comment... the patch file is missing in the tardist or to be more clear it contains an empty file. But thats all :)

Thx for the contributions!

regards
Joerg

Any news concerning the qemu port? ;)

Oliver