SGI: Development

Documenter's WorkBench

Another trip into the past:

I vaguely recall having come across the DWB packages at some point either on one of the IRIX or IDL/IDF/Compiler CDs (not a seperate DWB CD), or on the SGI site as a download. Is/was this true, and if so can anyone remember the CD or URL (since SGI has completely changed their Devel. pages)- or was I imagining this?
AFAIK they were unbundled because SGI had to pay royalties per shipped CD to Adobe and/or AT&T. I've got versions here on separate CD's for various flavours of IRIX and I know it was on the Varsity progam CD's at some point (Varsity Update for 5.3).
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
I only recall seeing the base dwb packages on their own, separate cds, too. It was a separate, commercial product.
What might this strange sounding item be? :)
Groff it is, then. I just thought I might have seen it on that page in the devel. progam with all of the downloadable tools that's disappeared, but I guess not.

I'd heard that it was depreciated with the release of IRIX 6.5 anyway. What does DWB have other than nroff?
SAQ wrote: Groff it is, then. I just thought I might have seen it on that page in the devel. progam with all of the downloadable tools that's disappeared, but I guess not.

I'd heard that it was depreciated with the release of IRIX 6.5 anyway. What does DWB have other than nroff?
Yeah, but they still have DWB overlays on the standard IRIX distributions (just no copy of the base dwb.sw.dwb -- that's what the DWB product cd gives you).

As for what else is in DWB, it includes the usual AT&T nroff, troff, pic, a couple of fonts, and some shell scripts like psroff, IIRC.

Groff should be able to handle most requirements, though.
QuicksilverG4 wrote: What might this strange sounding item be? :)

I've got one of those!

Complete, with all printed pages and CDs, too. Strange really - seems to be a development tutorial/walkthrough told as a nursery rhyme or children's story.

I couldn't imagine anyone doing anything like this nowadays - which makes it sorta cool.

Don't think it has any relation to DWB, though :D