SGI: Computer Graphics

Electronic Design tools

I'm really surprised, I would have thought Unix(1) would be one of the ideal fields for EDA tools
I mean tools with the purpose of facilitating the design of schematics for electronic circuits and their conversion to PCBs tools
however I can't find the equivalent of Eagle CAD

here, on my boring peeeeeceeeeee, I am experienced with
    Altium Design , used by ACME System Engineering, etc, Non-free, >5000 USD – Altium Designer has excellent user feedback (I confirm it as "user"), in my opinion, if one is looking for professional suite to work with and can handle the price tag, then Altium may be the best option
    EagleCAD , used by Sparkfun, Adafruit Industries, DangerousPrototypes, etc, Free with limitations, upgrades from 150 - 1700 USD, Eagle is a powerhouse in the hobbyist world and comes the most community support, but has some quirks (woes, great sorrow or distress with CAM integration, and handling more than 2 layers) that led me to choose a different suite.

they are commercial applications, closed source expensive (Altium Design >> EagleCad) Applications
and they but do not run on Irix (perhaps under the win95 emulator, who knows, btw it would be insane :lol: )

this list reports open source alternatives
never used before (with the exception of gtkwave), I am going to give a try to the following

Code: Select all

2016-01-27--01-47-38---2016-01-27--02-11-54 - emerge sci-electronics/xcircuit  - success - root
2016-01-27--02-43-11---2016-01-27--02-47-16 - emerge sci-electronics/geda  - success - root
2016-01-27--03-04-09---2016-01-27--03-06-55 - emerge sci-electronics/gtkwave  - success - root
2016-01-27--03-12-13---2016-01-27--03-17-26 - emerge sci-electronics/pcb  - success - root
2016-01-27--03-27-35---2016-01-27--03-28-41 - emerge sci-electronics/gerbv  - success - root
2016-01-27--03-34-10---2016-01-27--03-48-18 - emerge sci-electronics/qucs  - success - root

in order to understand if we'd better port to & use them on our IRIX boxes

last not least, there is a project called kicad , I can't emerge it easily, I will try downloading the pre built package
in case, I do absolutely not know how difficult would be to port it to IRIX

(1) { IRIX,HPUX,AIX }
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
The predecessor to Altium, Protel, might run in SoftWindows95.
There are some IRIX-native EDA tools, but Solaris and HPUX were what those companies mainly used, for systems like Mentor Graphics, Cadence, and Synopsis.
I know that Alliance and Icarus (free software tools) have been ported to IRIX.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
robespierre wrote: The predecessor to Altium, Protel, might run in SoftWindows95.

yes, Altium requires a strong modern machine, e.g. i5, i7, and a lot of ram

I have an old version of Protel, but isn't it too insane ?
I mean, running x86 software inside SoftWindows95 instead of natively on Irix ?

robespierre wrote: There are some IRIX-native EDA tools, but Solaris and HPUX were what those companies mainly used, for systems like Mentor Graphics, Cadence, and Synopsis.

do you know these applications name?
a friend of mine owns an HP/PA2 C3750, and it comes with HPUX-v11

robespierre wrote: I know that Alliance and Icarus (free software tools) have been ported to IRIX

I do not know Alliance, I have used Icarus because it supports Verilog, but I'd rather use VHDL, which is not supported
also Icarus needs an ADA compiler

22 years ago, I designed and built the above 8052 board
and concerning by which EDA tool? I used an old-school OrCAD for DOS :D

NOTEs about Eagle/CAD:
It comes in different versions, the free version of eagle is size limited, and also limited to 1 schematic sheet, there is also a non-profit version that goes for USD 125, and It has limitations on board size (160mm x 100mm) and signal layers (up to 4) but doesn't seem to limit the number of schematic sheets. You aren't supposed to use it for professional uses, because in case, there is the professional version :D

NOTEs about kicad:
at least, it has the following dependencies

Code: Select all

[ebuild  N     ] dev-util/boost-build-1.56.0  USE="-examples -python {-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libogg-1.3.1  USE="-static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1  USE="context nls threads -debug -doc -icu -mpi -python -static-libs -tools" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 -python3_3"
[ebuild  N     ] app-eselect/eselect-notify-send-0.1
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.29  USE="-alisp -debug -doc -python" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
[ebuild  N     ] app-text/dos2unix-7.3-r1  USE="nls -debug {-test}"
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/glew-1.10.0-r2  USE="-doc -static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-themes/sound-theme-freedesktop-0.8
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libvorbis-1.3.4  USE="-static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libcanberra-0.30-r5  USE="alsa gnome gtk gtk3 sound udev -gstreamer -oss -pulseaudio -tdb"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/libnotify-0.7.6-r1  USE="introspection {-test}"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-misc/notification-daemon-3.14.1
[ebuild  N     ] virtual/notification-daemon-0  USE="gnome"
[ebuild  NS    ] x11-libs/wxGTK-3.0.2.0-r1 [2.8.12.1-r1] USE="X libnotify opengl tiff (-aqua) -debug -doc -gstreamer -sdl -webkit"
[ebuild  N     ] sci-electronics/kicad-4.0.1  USE="-debug -doc -examples -github -i18n -minimal -python -webkit" LINGUAS="-bg -ca -cs -de -el -es -fi -fr -hu -it -ja -ko -nl -pl -pt -ru -sk -sl -sv -zh_CN" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
We use Orcad 16-point-something at work but it is mondo expensive. LT Spice, in addition to being the best Spice ever , has great schematic capture but no PCB layout capability.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: Orcad

Altium here, it costs in order of thousand euro
unfortunately I do not have a personal license
(my boss is the owner, he paid for that)

and of course I can't install it on Octane :D

vishnu wrote: LT Spice

LT Spice is the light-free version of Tina, which comes with the full features enabled and more
I have bought a 150 euro version, I am satisfied, but again … I can use it only under Windows XP on my job-laptop
while I'd like to have a schematic and a PCB layout on my blue Irix box :D

edit: ok, ok
2016-01-27--18-12-17---2016-01-27--18-23-32 - emerge sci-electronics/ngspice - success - root
2016-01-28--12-57-21---2016-01-28--16-35-46 - emerge sci-electronics/kicad - success - root

ok, I am also emerged Kicad on gentoo/IP30 (octane, running linux), but this is another story :D
Xcircuit for IRIX, Hamei told me about it. I haven't got it running yet (but that's only because I got around to sorting the issues I had). It does look good.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
uunix wrote: Xcircuit for IRIX, Hamei told me about it

is it this one ?

sci-electronics/xcircuit
Latest version available: 3.7.48
Size of files: 1611 KiB
Homepage: http://opencircuitdesign.com/xcircuit
Description: Circuit drawing and schematic capture program

and this is the TINA Design Suite
made by DesignSoft, it's a Circuit Simulator and PCB layout for Analog, RF, Digital, MCU, HDL & Mixed Circuit Simulation
and it comes with
  • a powerful yet affordable schematic editor which is Spice based, so it can be used as "circuit simulator"
  • PCB design software for analyzing, designing, and real time testing of analog, digital and mixed electronic circuits and their PCB layouts
  • Advanced Circuit Simulation & Design, including HDL (if you but the advanced license)
ivelegacy wrote:
uunix wrote: Xcircuit for IRIX, Hamei told me about it

is it this one ?

sci-electronics/xcircuit
Latest version available: 3.7.48
Size of files: 1611 KiB
Homepage: http://opencircuitdesign.com/xcircuit
Description: Circuit drawing and schematic capture program

Yes that looks like it, although I'm not sure if it does testing and flow control.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy: