SGI: Computer Graphics

3D Irix Software With Network Rendering?

Hey guys, so I need some help with this one. I am mainly interested in SGI computers for their legendary 3D software. However, I want to render using a more modern farm running UNIX, Linix, or even Windows (probably nt or xp). These systems will probably use Intel Xenons. I want super speed on my renderings! Can anyone tell me if any of these are capable of that:

Power Animator 9 (or any Alias software)

Wavefront Advanced Visualizer (or any Wavefront software)

Houdini

Maya 1-6

Softimage

Any other software you guys can think of?

Furthermore, how would I do it? I have seen things like Dr. Queue, but I don't know much about them.

Thanks!
If you want to model on sgi and render on Intel a good choice would be Renderman. The non-commercial version is free: http://renderman.pixar.com/view/non-commercial-renderman

Disclaimer: I have not used it, I do my renders with Mental Ray on IRIX. :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
rulp wrote: Power Animator 9 (or any Alias software)

yes, dispatcher. however alias was 95% irix except for standalone renderers for 8.5 fot nt and i don't think you wanna fiddle with aix machines from the 90s in this case

Wavefront Advanced Visualizer (or any Wavefront software)

yes, mental ray. not included

Houdini

yes, mantra. regular houdini installation is enough for the slaves

Maya 1-6

yes, dispatcher for the native renderer and mental ray if you have the extra standalone mental ray for maya

Softimage

yes, mental ray. regular softimage installation is enough for the slaves

Any other software you guys can think of?

renderman flavors. see each one for details

Furthermore, how would I do it?

that's different for each one
r-a-c.de
+1 on Renderman and Mental Ray...depending on what you decide to run it on. You'll get more speed on Renderman.
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box