SGI: Computer Graphics

Successors to Inventor?

I'm a big fan of Inventor [and the source of OpenInventor is a delight for me]. However, it is now rather outdated [despite the fact that Jamsa's "VRML Programmer's Library" is a gold-mine for Inventor stuff as well].

Do you know of any more modern comparable open-source toolkit running under IRIX 6 and being able to be compiled under MipsPro?

• Offering various remaining systems and parts, several interestingly compatible with both IRIX and OpenVMS ( AXP and I64 );
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1-GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).
I think at the time i was researching there was invenor-like Coin 3D. And if memmory serves right they had sources to compile on irix(unix ?) but don't take my word. Also as wikipedia says inventor was shifted to VSG, and possibly they did open sourced it in some later phase? If you need advanced scene graphs the osg project certainly had irix versions compiled because they started the whole thing on irix (there is actually a neko package of it for some older revision). For some project of mine i'm currently struggling with linux version, possibly there is nothing more powerful being open-sourced at the same time, hope it remains that way.

How about Crystalspace: http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page

World domination! Or something...
cybercow wrote: I think at the time i was researching there was invenor-like Coin 3D.

Coin3D was released under the BSD license in March of this year: https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/coin/wiki/Home

From TFM:

The development of Coin was in the beginning primarily done on Linux and IRIX systems, but is now mostly developed under Linux, Windows with Cygwin, and Mac OS X systems.

How many times has that story been played out over the years... :oops:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
vishnu wrote:
cybercow wrote: I think at the time i was researching there was invenor-like Coin 3D.

Coin3D was released under the BSD license in March of this year: https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/coin/wiki/Home

From TFM:

The development of Coin was in the beginning primarily done on Linux and IRIX systems, but is now mostly developed under Linux, Windows with Cygwin, and Mac OS X systems.

How many times has that story been played out over the years... :oops:

It's harder to get the drive to write something for an operating system whose last minor-non-patchfix update was almost 7 years ago and last major update was 15 years ago. Due to the progression of other OSes, new OpenGL versions, etc. you also wind up having to have a lot of "just for IRIX" stuff.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote: It's harder to get the drive to write something for an operating system whose last minor-non-patchfix update was almost 7 years ago and last major update was 15 years ago. Due to the progression of other OSes, new OpenGL versions, etc. you also wind up having to have a lot of "just for IRIX" stuff.

Yep, when you declare your OS "abandon ware" all the loyal vendors that developed for it abandon you.

They say that when Apple was circlin' the drain the only thing that kept them going was that Microsoft never pulled their Office for Mac port...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan: