SGI: Computer Graphics

Maya Shelves

Hello again,

One of the problems I've found with Maya 6.5 is that there are very few shelves with the installation. Coming from a later version, the menu's are very different and so it's a bit difficult to find your way around. So, I re-built the shelves that you find in 2011 in 6.5! Well, as far as it's possible to.

I would like to post them up here so that other people can use them. I just wanted to check if anyone saw any problems with doing this (not trying to break any rules here).

Just to be clear, I put these together with the shelf editor although the layouts and icons are the same as the later versions (all internal icons). I haven't copied them from a later version and edited them.

Cheers,
Ian
iffy50 wrote: Hello again,

One of the problems I've found with Maya 6.5 is that there are very few shelves with the installation. Coming from a later version, the menu's are very different and so it's a bit difficult to find your way around. So, I re-built the shelves that you find in 2011 in 6.5! Well, as far as it's possible to.

I would like to post them up here so that other people can use them. I just wanted to check if anyone saw any problems with doing this (not trying to break any rules here).

Just to be clear, I put these together with the shelf editor although the layouts and icons are the same as the later versions (all internal icons). I haven't copied them from a later version and edited them.

Cheers,
Ian

I don't have 2011, so more modern shelves would not be a help for me. However, I think that what you have counts as a derived work and I don't see any problem with people even selling maya plugins in advertisements in 3D World Magazine and the like. People post and download MEL scripts from all kinds of 3D forums all the time. I suspect that you are not breaking forum rules as neither the letter nor the intent of the rules... The rules are there to protect the site and founder from lawyers... maintaining this is his hobby and even the most frivolous law suit will shut all this down. Is this the slightest bait for a lawyer? I don't think so.

R.
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Hi,

OK, here they are.

And a copy of the included text file....

Info
----
If you've come from a later version of Maya to IRIX, then you may find yourself a little bit lost. A lot of the same functions exist, but they're not where you expect them to be.

One of the main comfort blankets that I found was missing was the shelves. They've been there as long as I've been on Maya (since about 8.0). So I recreated them in 6.5 to be as close to the ones that ship with Maya 2011 as I could.

Not all of the buttons are there, but I was surprised to find that more than 90% of the features are. Also, the icons have changed a bit over time, so they may not be the same as the ones that you're used to (I've used the Maya IRIX 6.5 embedded versions in each case). I've tried to keep the positions the same and the help info in the info bar can be used to tell you what's going to happen.

All recreated from scratch (I didn't just copy the shelf.mel files over from a later versions), so there should be no copyright problems.

I haven't tested this on any IRIX version of Maya apart from 6.5, but I can't see any reason that it wouldn't work on earlier versions.

Install
-------
You've already expanded it, if you're reading this.
Copy the shelf_*.mel files to your ~/maya/6.5/prefs/shelves directory

Restart Maya.
The shelves should all now be there. You may need to adjust the order that they appear in. The Maya default is

General
Curves
Surfaces
Polygons
Subdivs
Deformation
Animation
Dynamics
Rendering
PaintEffects

I guess that it's also possible to make ones for Toon, Fur and Hair, but I don't use them so I didn't bother. If anyone wants them, then let me know and I'll knock them up.

If anyone finds any other things that I missed in there, then please feel free to update and upload.

Enjoy,
Ian
if at voom dot org
29/04/2011
iffy50 wrote: Hi,

OK, here they are.

And a copy of the included text file....

I know this is old but I hope this finds you, iffy50. This was a nice time-saver! Thanks a lot for the time you put into this and sharing it!
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
Don't know about PA but in Maya there's always been the option to turn off everything but the view window and run the program entirely from the hotbox. In these days of megapixel LCDs there's not really much of a reason to do that anymore. Oh hotbox, we miss you so.... :cry: :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: Don't know about PA but in Maya there's always been the option to turn off everything but the view window and run the program entirely from the hotbox. In these days of megapixel LCDs there's not really much of a reason to do that anymore. Oh hotbox, we miss you so.... :cry: :lol:

the default interface is very distracting in this app in particular. you're best off to hide everything you don't use constantly and rely on hotkeys, a custom menuset and your own selection of context/marking menu's for the bulk of the job really.
thankfully nowadays they have a more monochrome icon scheme going on and finally allow to display a shelf icon as plain text button ... instead of nicely drawn but confusing looking colorful blob variation 5000 from the maya of old.

never seen anybody use the hotbox much though, outside of demo videos. that thing looks like it would need some serious customization to become useful. can only take in so much text at once - arghl.
GIJoe wrote: never seen anybody use the hotbox much though, outside of demo videos. that thing looks like it would need some serious customization to become useful. can only take in so much text at once - arghl.

From what I've heard the hotbox was popular with people who used Maya for their full time employment back in days before 2000+ pixel screen widths became available. Like so much else with Maya or any other high end 3D application, the hotbox is a royal PITA for occasional users... :x
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2: