Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

really slick screensavers

these suckers look great on V12 ... but ! there are two versions in dexter1's directory from February 2004 - one mips3 and one mips4. There is also one version in nekoware from July 2004. I *ass*ume that the nekoware July version is the hot ticket, but gotta ask .... ? Speaking of version control, they are all rss-glx-0.7.6. Ahem :) Also, I remember that lisa had a simple way to get them to show up in the normal toolchest desktop -> customize -> screensaver menu but can't find the directions to save my ... whatever. And her web page is now blank :-( Anybody remember how, off the top of their head ? tia
I posted a news item ( http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/weblog/archives/2003_12.html ) that explained how to integrate the rss with xscreensaver. The Nekoware versions of both these are the ones I run.
squeen wrote: I posted a news item ( http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/weblog/archives/2003_12.html ) that explained how to integrate the rss with xscreensaver. The Nekoware versions of both these are the ones I run.

Thanks, squeen ... very thorough, but the only bad part about doing it your way is that I'd lose the couple of SGI savers that I kinda like. I don't have the locking concern that you do - at least not right now. Good to know it can be done tho. And lisp's package/method has disappeared :-( It was never at nekochan, was it ?
Hold your horses :)

I am actually repackaging xscreensavers and flireflies and rss-glx right now atm, with some openGL1.1 fixes for some GL -xscreensavers (glmatrix for instance) and a fireflies speedup. rssglx full-mipspro build should be finished early next week.
dexter1 wrote: Hold your horses :)

hreeeeheeeheeehee, whicker whicker :)

I am actually repackaging xscreensavers and flireflies and rss-glx right now atm, with some openGL1.1 fixes for some GL -xscreensavers (glmatrix for instance) and a fireflies speedup. rssglx full-mipspro build should be finished early next week.

Oh great ! Thanks. For right now I came up with a quik-n-dirty crappy way to do it ; all I wanted was something to throw on the screen when I go out back to the latrine so I just put a link on the desktop to the directory they live in, then kick one on and maximize it when I want to leave the box for a few minutes.

They do look great .... are there any newer additions out ? Seems like the Linux crowd oughta be good for *something* !
hamei wrote:
dexter1 wrote: Hold your horses :)

hreeeeheeeheeehee, whicker whicker :)

Damn, where are those carrots ...

hamei wrote: They do look great .... are there any newer additions out ? Seems like the Linux crowd oughta be good for *something* !

Linux? Who said the reallyslick was Linux? http://www.reallyslick.com/

Hamei is actually using Windows stuff :lol:

Good part though is that the Guy who is originally coding them in windows has just released one new screensaver called Hyperspace. It will take some time before the rss-glx guy is resurrected from what coma he is in for the last 2 years, but i took a crack at porting the new helios to rss-glx and i was successful (though is now slower :( ) so i have hopes for Hyperspace being ported soon.
dexter1 wrote: Linux? Who said the reallyslick was Linux? http://www.reallyslick.com/

Hamei is actually using Windows stuff :lol:

Eeeeeeuw :shock: Did you have to tell me ? I just hope running it thru a MIPSPro compiler thoroughly fumigated the code !
Very exciting news. Go dex, go!
As you all can see on Nekochan's home page i have just finished the nekoware screensavers. A short recap:

Xscreensavers-4.21 (xscreensaver version 3)
Nekochan download page and dexter1 mirror

- Compiled Extrusion, because we now have a static glextruder lib in glut.
- Fixed OpenGL-1.2 reversed packed pixel support in Blocktube, Bouncingcow, Flyingtoasters, GLblur, GLforestfire, GLmatrix, GLplanet, Lament and Sballs. These now work with O2's Indigo2IMPACT, Octane MGRAS, and...
- Fixed all packed pixel textures, so all of the above will now work on RealityEngines (!)
- Fixed Texture fonts bug on Impact systems in Textfont.c and related screensavers Carousel, Fliptext and Starwars.
- Added Powerflip and ElectroPaint scripts (try them!), so that these can run in xscreensaver.
- Added all Reallyslick and the Fireflies screensavers as checkbox option in config file.

Reallyslick-0.7.6 (version 2)

- Fixed GL_ALPHA texture bug on Impact systems. 'lattice -T 6' and 'lattice -T 7' now produce correct textures.
- Recompiled all screensavers with -IPA on MIPSPro compilers.
- Fixed display bug in flux and solarview.
- Added all reallyslick screensavers in 4Dwm screensaver panel. Now's your chance, Hamei!
- Cyclone Vortex bugfix is included.
- readded Lisa's single texture and single buffer options, and made the single buffer short option '-1' actually work. :)

Fireflies-2.06 (version 2)

- Changed glVertex3d calls into glVertex3f for a 30% reduction in GL_calls :)

Some nice snapshots are on the main blog page.

There is (always) some stuff which needs to be fixed:
- Xscreensavers use a nasty Xwidget to make the GLX window for the openGL hacks, so trying to add them in the 4Dwm screensaver menu will result in a nasty left-and-upper line of the screensaver when running full-screen. I've added glMAtrix as an example of this. Not too bad, but still...
- Haven't looked at xscreensaver-getimage-video yet, which supposedly can capture from SGI video boards (!) Could be neat...
- Reallyslick screensavers biof and busyspheres can coredump on IMPACT/MGRAS graphics when resizing them to fullscreen. Happens rougly 1 out of 5 attempts. Weerd...
- Helios is CPU-bound(!) and i've tried (and failed) to optimise it.
- Fireflies is now compiled with SDL. My wish is to add a GLX non-root viewport, so we can drop the SDL stuff and as a bonus, enable it in 4Dwm screensaver menu, because it now doesn't like being SGI-fied...

Took me two weeks of testing, debugging and compiling. Am butt-tired,

Beer! :P
Wow, very nice work! I'm looking forward to checking it out - great writeup on the front page as well :D
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
dexter1 wrote: - Added all reallyslick screensavers in 4Dwm screensaver panel. Now's your chance, Hamei!

Burnin up the wahrs even as I type - thanks, dextrous !

Channel twelve report : Yowsa ! Very nice. Noticeable improvement and they were good before. Like the integration, too. Wurra wurra professional, five gold stars. I know, I know, they're just screen savers but damn, they look good. They should come stock with Irix, they're that much nicer.

Hmm, here's an observation - not a bitch ! we don' do no steenkin' bitchin' here ! But when I think about installing an SGI tardist, inside swmgr I can read the release notes. Not so with nekoware (or at least I haven't figured out how yet.) It can be nice to see what's going on before you install a program .....
Outstand! This is really first class work and a huge job. Thanks!
I can't seem to get xscreensaver-getimage-file to work... I have images in the directory that .xscreensaver points to, but no dice.

Is there a trick that I'm missing?
Indeed, as we discussed on #nekochan, the xscreensaver-getimage-file seems to need the tool ppmsave. I had a quick look as to whether this is fixable using imagemagick, but decided it's better to release the package, than wait for another week or two fiddling with it.
So it will be done sometime :)
Dex,

Again I just wanted to thank you for the awesome work here. I really enjoyed *finally* seeing glmatrix running on an MGRAS Octane this past weekend.