Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

My latest in deep personal stupidity...

So I've managed to bork X windows on my Indy, possibly by following these instructions here , but probably not to the letter.

So when I rebooted Helicoprion , I get the usual screens on startup, and then an unhelpful black frame once it logs into the user account.

I've been … away, so it's hard to remember what I can/should do at this point. So I tried fiddling with sash from the PROM Monitor. But I can't for the life of my figure out how to copy over the edited Xservers file with my backup, made just before I fiddled with stuff.

This would be easier if I could put it on a network, but I cannot in this case. I also do not have access to anything that could function as a dumb terminal (one of the things I was actually trying to do was get the Indy to have cu installed to fulfill that function, but I was distracted before I could get that to work).

So from the stand alone shell it's not:

Code: Select all

cp /var/X11/xdm/Xservers.backup /var/X11/xdm/Xservers
or
cp dsk(0,1,0):/var/X11/xdm/Xservers.backup /var/X11/xdm/Xservers
or
cp dsk(0,1,0):/var/X11/xdm/Xservers.backup dsk(0,1,0):/var/X11/xdm/Xservers
or
cp dsk(0,1,0)|/var/X11/xdm/Xservers.backup dsk(0,1,0)|/var/X11/xdm/Xservers
or
cp /var/X11/xdm/Xservers.backup:dsk(0,1,0) /var/X11/xdm/Xservers

Or any variation thereof, and help in sash is really useless.

Anyone know how I can fix this?
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides
Even if X isn't working, you should still be able to remotely log in over the network, or use the serial console. From a regular shell prompt shut down the Xserver with /usr/gfx/stopgfx , copy the backup files into place, and then restart X with /usr/gfx/startgfx .
:Onyx2: 4x400MHz R12K Onyx2 IR3, 8GB RAM
:1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: R10K Indigo2 MaxIMPACT, 4 TRAMS, 768MB RAM, 2x9GB HD, CD-ROM, Phobos G160
Black Cardinal
Black Cardinal wrote: you should still be able to remotely log in over the network, or use the serial console.

Alas, neither of these are an option.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides
Why not boot single user ("stop for maintainance" on powerup, then get a prompt and enter "single"), mount your disks, and cp from the single-user shell?
:Indigo: R3000 (alas, dead) :Indigo: R4000 x4 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 x2 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4400SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 x3 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
miod wrote: Why not boot single user ("stop for maintainance" on powerup, then get a prompt and enter "single"), mount your disks, and cp from the single-user shell?

Perfect! Thank you! That solved the issue. (Though I didn't have to mount anything, just log in. And I used mv instead of cp.)

To be honest, I'd long forgotten that was even an option. But I've been trying to bring up Carcharodon , and I lack access to a terminal of any sort.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us