Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

IRIX 5.3 winterm on macOS X11 display: text input garbled

X11 display server : X11.app on macOS "sierra"

I telnet into my Indy running IRIX 5.3, and start a winterm with display output to the Mac.

When I start to type into the winterm window, I get this:
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (11.95 KiB) Viewed 262 times

Some special characters work (^L clears the screen, ^H erases, ^D closes the window), but most characters are echoed back as 3 character garbage. 'enter' is garbled as well. In the screenshot I typed "ls<enter>". The 'You have mail' text and the prompt string are good, so I think text output from the Indy is good.

What's happening here, is the Mac sending UTF to the poor old Indy?

NB: the Indy is running pretty stock IRIX 5.3, with ~ 40 patches (probably the recommended/required set), but no freeware, tgcware or other add-ons.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
OK, I fixed it but I don't understand why. It's the 'Option keys send Alt_L and Alt_R' checkbox:
prefs.png
prefs.png (47.67 KiB) Viewed 247 times

Now to set up XDMCP :)
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )