Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Assistance - IRIX 5.3 and Indy

Been a long time since I messed with IRIX 5.3 and find myself having a problem loading a fresh install onto my Indy R4600 with a 9Gb drive. I keep getting...

Code: Select all

ERROR: Installation requires to much space

I ran "fx" on the drive, did label - create - all, sync'd and exited. Loaded the CD, I tried both the vanilla IRIX 5.3 disc and IRIX 5.3 for Indy including R5000 with the same results, go into inst and install default, no conflicts, hit go, then error. I've gone into "fx" and repartitioned as a root drive, then usr drive, with same results, even tried resizing the partitions with no luck. What be I doing wrong?
-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
If you're using EFS, are any of your partitions larger than 8 GB? Did you make new filesystems in addition to repartitioning?
Is fx automatically creating seperate / and /usr partitions with 5.3? I saw a similar error when first trying to install 4.0.5 on an Indigo. The default size of / was tiny and a full install of everything needed about 1.5 times the alloted space. So I used fx to manually repartition the drive using twice the default amount of space for / and everything worked. IIRC when you're in inst if you do a "list" between "install default" and "go" at the end of the output it will tell you how much free space you need on each of / and /usr so that you can check to see if that's your problem.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
I am aware of the 8Gb filesystem limitation with efs. Fx was creating the partitions automatically and I did try manually increasing the size of the partitions, maybe I didn't increase it enough, I'll give it another try. Thanks for the help.
-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
Still can't figure it out. In inst after doing an install default, then list, I get...

Disk space summary (Kbytes)                 /          /root
Selections net change              0        252267+
Space available                    10771      22363

The default partitions in fx are...

part type          cyls               blocks                          Megabytes             (base+size)

0: efs               2+10           9480+47400                         5+23
1: raw             12+17         56880+80580                        28+39
6: efs              29+7474    137460+35426760                   67+17298
7: efs               2+7501        9480+35554740                    5+17361
8: volhdr           0+2                  0+9480                          0+5
10: volume         0+7503             0+35564220                    0+17365

After the miniroot is copied to disk and installation starts I get...

root on dev 128,17; boot swap file on /dev/swap    swplo 50000

Mounting Filesystems

/dev/miniroot         on /
/dev/dsk/dks0d1s0  on /root

I've increased the size of the root partition from 23Mb to 260Mb and still come up with the installation requires to much space error. Can anyone suggest a partition layout that will work since I'm obviously missing something here.
-ks

See them all >here<
kshuff wrote: Still can't figure it out. In inst after doing an install default, then list, I get...

Disk space summary (Kbytes)                 /          /root
Selections net change              0        252267+
Space available                    10771      22363

root on dev 128,17; boot swap file on /dev/swap    swplo 50000

Mounting Filesystems

/dev/miniroot         on /
/dev/dsk/dks0d1s0  on /root

Neither of those show a /usr partition being mounted nor how much space is required on it. So it looks to me like everything is being installed to / instead of split across / and /usr. I think you've missed a step in fx, but I'm not familiar enough with it to know exactly which step. I think that /dev/dsk/dks0d1s6 should be your /usr partition, but either the filesystem wasn't created correctly or it hasn't been mounted correctly.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
Yup, that's it. Didn't miss a step in fx, the filesystem isn't being made by the installation. When inst came up I escaped to a shell and ran mkfs /dev/dsk/dks0d1s6 and then mounted the filesystem under /root/usr and proceeded with the software installation, 5.3 is being installed now. Something so easy can turn out to be something so hard.

jpstewart wrote: Neither of those show a /usr partition being mounted nor how much space is required on it. So it looks to me like everything is being installed to / instead of split across / and /usr. I think you've missed a step in fx, but I'm not familiar enough with it to know exactly which step. I think that /dev/dsk/dks0d1s6 should be your /usr partition, but either the filesystem wasn't created correctly or it hasn't been mounted correctly.
-ks

See them all >here<
kshuff wrote: Yup, that's it. Didn't miss a step in fx, the filesystem isn't being made by the installation. When inst came up I escaped to a shell and ran mkfs /dev/dsk/dks0d1s6 and then mounted the filesystem under /root/usr and proceeded with the software installation, 5.3 is being installed now. Something so easy can turn out to be something so hard.

Sorry that I wasn't clearer before - that's exactly what I was driving at when I asked, "Did you make new filesystems in addition to repartitioning?"

After running into fs problems enough times, an explicit, manual mkfs or mkfs_xfs step has long been a part of my personal recipe for a fresh IRIX installation, whether 5.x or 6.x. I'm glad to hear that things got sorted out.
josehill wrote: an explicit, manual mkfs or mkfs_xfs step has long been a part of my personal recipe

same here and not only for irix. if you wanna rule something out do it yourself :D
r-a-c.de
Got it installed but now it's hanging up booting, getting an error about the hostname not being set and can't find lboot. The fun continues.
-ks

See them all >here<
kshuff wrote: Got it installed but now it's hanging up booting, getting an error about the hostname not being set and can't find lboot. The fun continues.

how did you install it?
r-a-c.de
miniroot

install default

conflicts

go

foetz wrote:
kshuff wrote: Got it installed but now it's hanging up booting, getting an error about the hostname not being set and can't find lboot. The fun continues.

how did you install it?
-ks

See them all >here<
kshuff wrote: miniroot

install default

conflicts

go

okay, did it show any conflicts?
anyway no hostname at the first boot is normal. do you get to the desktop at all? or at least a single user shell?
if so just install the missing stuff. lboot for example is part of eoe1 and the required other stuff for building a kernel is part of compiler_eoe
r-a-c.de
No conflicts, no desktop, no shell, just hung at the errors. I did get it working finally, it was a problem with filesystems and how they were being mounted. When I was in inst --> admin I ran mkfs which remade the filesystems on /dev/dsk/dks0d1s0 and /dev/dsk/dks0d1s6 and mounted them. I installed again and everything went fine, system restarted and desktop came up. Don"t understand the problems, it"s a simple procedure I've performed a million times in the past.

foetz wrote:
kshuff wrote: miniroot

install default

conflicts

go

okay, did it show any conflicts?
anyway no hostname at the first boot is normal. do you get to the desktop at all? or at least a single user shell?
if so just install the missing stuff. lboot for example is part of eoe1 and the required other stuff for building a kernel is part of compiler_eoe
-ks

See them all >here<