Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

ughh ... cannot replace / reseat cpu carrier module in octn2

I needed to reseat my RAM so I removed my cpu carrier module from my octane2 ...

Now that I have reseated it, I cannot reinsert the module.

I retract the two slider bars all the way, I slide the module in until it goes almost all the way in (about 1cm or less is left to go) then I insert the two slider bars as far as they go ... but that's it.

I cannot get the module to insert that last 1cm (slightly less than 1cm).

I really, really hate to force things, but I have put a fair amount of pressure on it, and cannot get it to go that last little bit.

Tips ?
Take a close look at the 'honeycomb' air vent above the cpu carrier.

The metal strips can get wedged and block the carrier from sliding in or out.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Yes, those did "sag" a bit and I was unable to remove the module until I bent them back up. So that problem was solved.

But now, this is simply a failure of the clips/locks to engage and seat. The carrier is all the way inserted *except* for about 1cm or less... and I cannot get it to budge past that...
I've had similar trouble with both the motherboard and the XIO carrier in my Octane not wanting to seat properly. It only happens when the machine is its normal, upright position. Lie the machine on its face, so the back is pointing up and slide the motherboard straight down. On my system it seats perfectly every time. Take the front (plastic) skin off the (metal) chassis first though! You don't want to damage the skin. And the metal chassis has two little "feet" on either side of the drive bays that make the system stand up perfectly level and stable!

Thanks. I just got it to go - the manual makes it sound like you *don't* slide it all the way in before you lock in the long bars, but eventually I tried seating it all the way in before I slid the bars in, and then it worked.

So in summary, pull the slider rails all the way out, slide the carrier ALL THE WAY in, then slide in the bars and lock.